Join now - be part of our community!

Android 13 update for Xperia 5 ii

profile.country.DE.title
axlpst
New

Android 13 update for Xperia 5 ii

Hello Xperia fans,

one of the reasons for my decision to move from Samsung Galaxy Note to Sony Xperia 5ii was the announcement that the 5 ii will get 3 big updates. I have bought it with Android 10 so I have expected Android 13 as the final update. Reading the Google announcements which device will get the next big update, I can only find the Xperia 5 iii - has anyone more positive Information?

Thanks & regards Axel

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

2 major updates, that's what Xperia devices have received lately.

Don't recon yours will be an exception to that.

profile.country.DE.title
axlpst
New

O.K. clear Statement - that applies to the Operation System and what's about the security updates? 

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

As a rule of fist: 2 years plus one final a few months later.

profile.country.GB.title
Gilgameshuk
Contributor

right now only two complete o/s updates................. BUT!

Right now the E.U is bringing legislation out and SONY has to comply if it wishes to sell phones within the E.U

that they MUST support three  Complete O/S updates as a 'minimum and to be able to provide parts to repair that phone up to 5 years after manufacture.

https://www.androidauthority.com/eu-smartphone-updates-rules-3205112/?fbclid=IwAR0CSlsC-rME3k6CKpmnM...

Looks like Sony will be forced to give us 3 years of o/s upgrades and 5 years of security patches.

Note this part also

The draft regulations also dictate that the battery capacity of a device “shall not deteriorate after an operating system software update or a firmware update when measured with the same test standard originally used for the declaration of conformity.” They also state, “No performance change shall occur as a result of rejecting the update, except for third-party application software.”

Looking at YOU.......Apple!

Obviously by reading this one can tell the precedent of starting this was Apple Company's behaviour of making phones non repairable and bricking batteries after a firmware update to force a phone upgrade!

cheers

gilgamesh

Gilgamesh the first ONE and ONLY King
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi GilgameshUK, that would be great! I hope all companies comply to this.