Join now - be part of our community!

Video image quality in HDR/HLG mode

profile.country.GB.title
randomGuy
New

Video image quality in HDR/HLG mode

Hi all,

I have had an Xperia 5 II since almost a couple a years and I've just noticed the difference in image quality between the SDR and HDR modes while recording video (for the worse). 

When recording in HDR mode, I can see a noticeable loss in terms of image quality and definition. Before someone jumps on the gun to tell me I need to sharpen my HDR footage, this is not something you can recover in post. The loss of image quality is noticeable to a point where no matter how much sharpening you apply to it, it will never match the SDR (check the letters on that sign, there is no way you can match the SDR definition). I can reproduce the issue on both the basic camera app and the Cinema Pro (even other Sony Camera Apps that I have installed to test it)

I was just wondering if this can be reproduced in other devices and also trying to understand the reason when the HDR footage has more bitrate and 10 bits.

Screenshot 2022-09-30 at 13.00.11.png

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
randomGuy
New

Adding another example

grab.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi randomGuy, there are many explanations for this difference, mainly based on the settings of the camera. Brightness, sharpness, etc. 

However, why don't you try the basics first? 

A force restart, software update, a software repair even then test again? 

profile.country.GB.title
randomGuy
New

@HannahEd01 thanks for the suggestion.

The intention with the thread was exactly to confirm if this is something isolated to my particular device or it can be replicated on all devices, in which case it sounds like a bug.

If it's just my device, I would proceed with the steps you indicated in your response. But without knowing that, I don't want to risk losing all the data on my phone and having to restore everything for nothing. 

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey randomGuy, a software repair is the last resort. 

It's up to you anyway, but I don't think this is a specific thing. 

profile.country.GB.title
Gilgameshuk
Contributor

Too many times here people are saying do a software repair and a software repair DOES NOT fix this issue anyhow. Its in the very nature of HLG

That does not solve the solution.

I take it you are using CinemaPro, right?

THIS IS a known problem with HLG mode and this mode is well known to need LOTS OF colour correct in post.

I have done a small video to show you the difference as I have encountered the same issue.

A video I made below shows this issue. Please bare in mind this was filmed on my old xperia 1 mk1 -hence lack of stabilisation at 4k.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PGx52CNdjY

if you google Sony Videography Pro.APK  download and install it (runs on ANY mark 5 or 1 series) and give that a try.

it does not run on HLG as standard.

Give it a try and let me know what you think

cheers

Gilgamesh the first ONE and ONLY King