Join now - be part of our community!

WiFi Calling on Android 12

profile.country.GB.title
BillyBong11

WiFi Calling on Android 12

Hi 

My Xperia 5 ii has just updated to Android 12 and I have lost WiFi calling.  Due to lack on network signal where I live I rely on WiFi calling. 

I have checked my network (Vodafone) and I still have WiFi calling enabled, but when I try to make a call it struggles with the network until it just cuts me off.

I have read all the guidance on how to set it up but they only cover up to Android 11. The WiFi calling options have "disappeared".

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

34 REPLIES 34
profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

Nearly correct..

Vodafone forgot to include WiFi calling.

VoLTE and WiFi calling is not part of the firmware Sony control.

It is up to networks to add their own configuration to the update packages, and with all the people having issue with WiFi calling on Vodafone, it seems they haven't updated the network configuration package.

profile.country.GB.title
MythicSuns

@Lord_viridis Weirdly though VoLTE seems to be active on my ASDA mobile phone which uses Vodafone's network. I think it's just the Wi-Fi calling Vodafone is seriously struggling with.

profile.country.GB.title
Corruptedminds

My Xperia 1 III on Vodafone also does not have Wifi calling on Android 12 (I don't know whether this was available on Android 11 as I've never checked) but on Call Settings (Vodafone) only have CAll forwarding, Call barring & Additional Settings (this only for caller ID and call waiting settings). So My take here is, if Vodafone didn't supply the handset probably will not bother on sending this network settings or are unable to as these are not their batches. I've got mine from the Sony Store directly as VF didn't provide it.

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

Yes, I agree with @Lord_viridis , Wi-Fi calling is a network operator related service and if you bought the device from a network operator, the update is released through the network operator as well. So, I do believe that's related to them also

profile.country.GB.title
MythicSuns

Screenshot_20220326-091733.png

Screenshot_20220326-092205_Wi-Fi Calling.jpg

Screenshot_20220326-092032_One UI Home.jpg

I just did a test by inserting my ASDA mobile sim (ASDA mobile are partnered with Vodafone which means that their sims are technically Vodafone sims in disguise) into my Samsung S10e which has also just recently been updated to Android 12 and ran into the same issue. Based on this and the fact that nobody seems to be having Wi-Fi Calling issues on Android 12 on most other phone networks I can safely assume that the issue lies with Vodafone not being prepared for some kind of internal change in Android 12. In a way you could blame Google but since the issue doesn't occur on most other networks I would be more tempted to question vodafone's method for providing Wi-Fi Calling. 

Additional: I also tried using a spare activated EE Sim I used to use in both the Samsung and Sony phone and on both phones the Wi-Fi Calling setting would reappear which further proves that the issue is with the network. I'll see if I can provide pictures as proof.

Edit: added screenshots, for whatever reason my Xperia could only get enough coverage for emergency calls whilst my Samsung did just fine but that doesn't change the fact that the EE Sim card made Wi-Fi Calling available on Android 12 which to me further proves that the issue in this case lies more with the carrier than Google or the phone manufacturer. 

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

Well, thanks for letting us know. 

At least now we know where is the issue exactly.

profile.country.GB.title
Tizer1

Yes Vodafone UK are the pits when it comes to Wi-Fi and 4G calling. I and a lot of other people with certain phones have been having problems with calls dropping after exactly 29 Minutes 50 Seconds on 4G for the last 2 years and Vodafone are either not capable or not interested enough to provide a fix.

Don't hold your breath waiting for Vodafone to fix the problem.

profile.country.GB.title
MythicSuns

Just thought I'd let you guys know that my phone received the March security update which somehow seems to have fixed the issue. I did however have to give permission for OMA Client Provisioning to access some kind of system file. Bearing in mind that OMA stands for Open Mobile Alliance and that the OMA Client Provisioning allows mobile carriers to provide network configurations, it's possible that the initial Android 12 update was inadvertantly blocking Vodafone from providing Wi-Fi calling the way they usually do. Honestly I think the way all UK phone networks handle Wi-Fi calling needs improving but so far EE seem to be the one network I have the least issues with in this department. Looking at the big dogs I gave O2 a look but their site and their community site has left me with mixed messages; either my Xperia won't get Wi-Fi calling unless it has O2 firmware or it won't get Wi-Fi calling unless I sign up for a pay monthly contract.

Three just has a ridiculously small compatibility list for Wi-Fi calling and their coverage can be pretty awful in rural areas. 

And we all know about Vodafone. 

As for their partners: It's a little hit or miss whether or not they'll support Wi-Fi calling but I do know that Plusnet Mobile (an EE partner) and Giffgaff (an O2 partner) don't support Wi-Fi calling and that all of Three's partners rely on Three to provide the Wi-Fi calling (basically if Three don't support your phone for Wi-Fi calling then neither will any of their partners). 

In summary: Either Google or Sony might've messed up a little but the issue still lies more with how UK carriers handle the provision of Wi-Fi calling. Or to look at it another way, which sounds easier? Getting Sony and/or Google to take into consideration the different ways that the 4 big UK phone networks and their many partners provide Wi-Fi calling or for the carriers to start using a better standard? Honestly, assuming there aren't any legal complications I think all networks should try and use EE's method as it seems to just work. Don't get me wrong, EE have only just recently started providing Wi-Fi calling for pay as you go customers in the last few years which is shocking (yet not surprising) in itself but once they did it was brilliant and just worked. 

As for the OMA thing, I should clarify that the permission it asked for is not one that can be given through the app info menu, it has to be given by pressing a button on a prompt provided by the OMA Client Provisioning system app. This to me suggests there may be a riskier way of fixing this issue via some sort of adb command but personally I'd stick with just waiting for the update or changing to a carrier with better Wi-Fi Calling support (EE being my recommendation, even if their tariffs aren't necessarily the best).

profile.country.GB.title
Corruptedminds

Hello Peeps!

Vodafone UK:

Just to give you an update on this as well, I decided to contact support and I spoke to an advisor who kindly enabled this on my Xperia 1 III (Android 12).

I provided the handset details including the model (XQ-BC52) for the EU variant. Later on I've received the OMA details while on the chat with the Vodafone dude (I didn't notice this showed up on the notification bar so I had to tap it and accept it).

Then I went on Phone settings and calling accounts>vodafone sim and the setting was there. So if you get in touch with them just make sure you give them enough details of your handset.

That's all🙂

Screenshot_20220330-151027.png

profile.country.GB.title
BillyBong11

Hi

Thanks for that, but I spoke to Vodafone for 1 hour 20 minutes yesterday and got the same OMA details through.  Unfortunately on the Xperia 5 II it doesn't make any difference. They have again referred me back to Sony.

I have emailed Sony again and await an update. Maybe when I get the next update it will help