Join now - be part of our community!

a7r zebras & RAW

theSNEW
Explorer

a7r zebras & RAW

as far as I can tell zebras are always generated from the liveview image (with creative style enabled) rather than from the RAW image. This means if you have a particularly contrasty creative sytle enabled (as i often do for manual focus reasons) the zebras can be around 2 stops off what is truely clipping in the RAW image. i hope this can be amended for future firmware updates.

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.BE.title
Portmixus
Hero

I support this suggestion! But what can be pulled from the RAW file very much depends on the raw converter you use...not sure whether we'll see an accurate version of zebra for RAW-simulation...

not true. photosite full well capacity dictates clipping point not the RAW debeyer. false colour and zebras have been succesfully deployed on many RAW enabled digital film cameras, including Sony's. it's time to deploy this feature on their consumer grade products.

profile.country.NL.title
albertdros
Contributor

This is a good suggestion. I'd like to add that from my experience with the A7 line up, it's better to underexpose a bit in contrasty situations. Something when I have a perfect historgram with no whites clipping, I still see some problems of getting highlights back in the RAW file, especially with sunsets. So I tend to underexpose abit. Just thought i'd add that information in here.

profile.country.GB.title
BetaMale
Explorer

Can someone explain to this digiphobe what a digital film camera is ?

theSNEW
Explorer

just a clumsy way of referring to high end video cameras (ie. f55 & f65)