Join now - be part of our community!

will the a7r II have focus confirmation for manual focus?

theSNEW
Explorer

will the a7r II have focus confirmation for manual focus?

now that it has 399 phase detection points this should be possible, right?

focus peaking doesn't work for shallow depth of field. focus magnification is the only workable solution however it's not exactly a quick process.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.BE.title
Portmixus
Hero

Sofar I've not seen a single mentioning of this feature by anyone. I'm afraid we'll have to wait longer. :rolling_eyes:

Maybe focus peaking has improved?!

i hope so. it's not that focus peaking is completely awful it's just not suitable for most situations. you can for instance use it fairly effectively on long focal lengths (over 100mm say) when the difference between in focus and out of focus is more pronounced. however at high resolutions like on the a7r focusing becomes a much more difficult off a small screen or low magnification viewfinder, and when you're using a 35mm or 50mm the peaking just mushes all together making it almost imposible to hit perfect focus without checking focus magnification. if you're shooting a moving object you've got no chance..

focus peaking also distracts when composing your frame. if i use it i end up having to toggle it on and off which again wastes time.

fuji have been making good progress with ways to help manual focusing. back when i had a x100s i used to like the split rangefinder option it featured.

SandyW7
Explorer

My trick when composing and I want to kill the peaking temporaily is to simply twist the lens off focus, which can actually help composition as it not only gets rid of "the yellow blanket" but also hides the distracting detail!  Just a thought, it may not suit others!