Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
NickCo1979

Issues this morning: Wouldn't come out of standby - had to power cycle. Boot time took forever, android logo incredibly jittery during boot. Home screen crashed 3 times after boot. Recommendations didn't work for the first 10 minutes after boot. Sound lag on Digital TV channels - fixed by another power cycle (I have lots of time available to **** about turning the TV off and on every hour or so.....). there's a dozen other things but no-one at Sony gives a ****. All off down the pub laughing their ***** off at the mugs that they managed to flog polished turds to.

---

Edited - Profanity

lebarry
Explorer

Took an age to turn on TV this morning, had to keep pressing remote button for over a minute for it to finally come on.
alellio01

Good Morning. I would like to confirm, the XXX channel bug.. You have to wonder what Sony software engineers have been up to.. To replicate. Switch to Digital Channel, press tv/radio button, then leave radio and return to TV. Press TV/Radio button... And XXX Channel. Good job the grandkids did not find this.
NickCo1979

Replicated here also. You do have to wonder whether the "engineers" have just cut and pasted code off the internet in the main... I think it's blatently obvious that QA, pre-release and production review teams don't exist at Sony and it's just a couple of interns coding this up in their spare time. The scope and quality of code would embarrass first year college students.
alellio01

Well my wife has just decided to let me have it with both barrels. Needless to say she is not happy.... (Understatement).
profile.country.en_GB.title
petsmart

Well I can't confirm the xxx channels as I only use sky but after the latest update my tv is fine. Actually seems more responsive (still needs improvement though) and no trouble with the update.

I still have issues using a reciever ( sony str) and switching between hdmi inputs using arc input though and also no 5.1 via netflix etc.
alellio01

Im having a play around. I have done a full reset and seeing whats improved. After the reset the Tv took 10 mins to reload android. I still have HDMI sound issues so that's not fixed. USB works for pictures. Home screen seems a bit jerky, no crashes yet!.
profile.country.GB.title
UnoBorg

Is it to do with the optical as with mine i tried 9 high quality ones & in
the end I had to cut a strip of black tape 6mm wide & 2 inches long & rap
around where connection is as spdif kept falling out & making cracking
sounds...

Regards

Mark
profile.country.GB.title
scottryan10

Hi,
Sony have admitted defeat with my case, and the set is on its way back..!
Been looking at the new Panasonic models, they look ok.... I do prefer Sony, but the TV's are not fit for purpose....

But my last word in all this, they should not expect us to find their faults and problems for them, and pay them for it.
All the hassle of calling, emailing, doing all this Forum chat....this whole issue has done my head in..!

We should be able to buy a new TV and just enjoy it..!

See ya all....