Join now - be part of our community!

65X8509CB screen brightness gone dull

65X8509CB screen brightness gone dull

Have had this setl less than six weeks. Have put up with the non delivery of promised features, the sluggishness, the need for constant reboots, the inability to switch inputs automatically because of the ability to run Kodi and the sheer wow factor of the screen.

Switched it on tonight to find the image flat and dull.The set has been on standard since out of the box and looked great till tonight. Moving the brightness setting from min to max has almost no effect and on a reboot, where the Sony and Android logos popped brilliant white they are grey. system diagnostic detects nothing. Soft and hard resets don't rectify it.

Anyone else experienced anything like this.

Will be calling Currys in the morning, I'm tempted to return it for another 4K set and go back to an external box for Kodi but Tge picture is, or rather was, great.

2 REPLIES 2
Caledonian_TV
Contributor

Daft question I know; but they need to be asked... But have you done the whole factory reset then 'unplug it from the wall and let it stand' (for about an hour) thing? - Take all your HDMIs out while you're doing this too.

Clearly 'something' has happened to ramp the backlight down to zero...  It's only guesswork; but this is more likely to be software rather than hardware.  You'd also need to watch if you have installed any extra apps on the set that there isn't anything 'buried' in any of them that's taking control of your backlight. 

"I'm tempted to return it for another 4K set and go back to an external box for Kodi"

Might be the best move... Samsung have some good panels as do Panasonic. Sony are only interested in 'shusshing' the bad publicity; there is no real evidence that they have either the will or ability to make these things work. External boxes might be more 'future proof' as the technology will inevitably change.

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

Have you accidentally enabled "Ambient Light Sensor" in Picture settings? If it is enabled, Turn it off.

Your picture can be really dull with this option enabled.