Join now - be part of our community!

65XE9005 loosing ARC connection

profile.country.SE.title
jsjo013
New

65XE9005 loosing ARC connection

Hi guys!

Im new here, and tried to find a thread that suits my problems but couldnt find any so I'll give it a try here.

However, this may i bought a 65XE9005 (thats what it is called in Sweden), dont know if it is different in your countries. Im super happy with the TV, it works really great, a part from one thing.

I connected my Harman Kardon AVR with its ARC hdmi port with the TVs to get surround in my home cinema speakers. But after a couple of hours, a message pop up in the TV that says that the TV speakers are activated, loosing the connection to the AVR just like that. Then I have to reset the AVR and connect it to Bravia sync all over again.

One could think that the avr is the problem, however, doesnt seem to be. First thing I did was to send the avr for service and they changed some components, send it back to me and the problem occurred like before. The company that sold it to me gave me a new one after some warranty issues.

I thought, finally it will work. But the problems still occures. And now i believe that the TV is the problem. What do you think?

It seems that, if i choose PCM in the sound settings in the TV, the AVR keeps giving me sound, but not if I go with the Auto1 or 2 options. However, if I have PCM the avr just gives me 2.0 spund wherever I watch movies or TV. Even if i watch ha Netflix movie that states it got 5.1 sound.

Any ideas?

Edit: 5 minutes ago the TV speakers were activated again, with the PCM setting in the tv. So none of the different sound options helps.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi jsjo013,

Congrats on your new Sony TV and welcome to the Sony Community. I would like to know a few more things in order to try to help with a solution.

• What is the specific type number of your Herman Kardon AVR?
  • What is your full device map? So I would like to know what devices are connected to the TV on which input/output and what devices are connected to the AVR on which input/output. Please also include your wireless devices in the map. (e.g. Bluetooth headphones connected to the TV)
  • What type of other wireless devices are within a 1 meter range of the HDMI ARC cable?
  • What is the length of the HDMI ARC cable?
  • Has the issue been there since the first day the two devices were setup together?
  • Have you done cable management on your Audio/Video devices? e.g. tying cables together or binding them together in order to tidy things up.

It would definitely help us if you could be as clear and specific as possible with the answers.

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.SE.title
jsjo013
New

Hello!

Thank you for trying to help me, Ill try to answer your questions as good as I can.

• What is the specific type number of your Herman Kardon AVR?

Its AVR 151se, believe its called AVR 1510s in the US.

• What is your full device map? So I would like to know what devices are connected to the TV on which input/output and what devices are connected to the AVR on which input/output. Please also include your wireless devices in the map. (e.g. Bluetooth headphones connected to the TV)

In the AVR just the ARC cable is connected, wanted to keep things simple so that my girlfriend only had to use the TV remote for everything. A PS4 is plugged in HDMI2 in the TV, a USB cable from an extarnal drive plus another USB for ha wireless keyboard. I plugged in wireless head phones two days ago via bluetooth. And the last thing is two Shield controllers connected with bluetooth.

• What type of other wireless devices are within a 1 meter range of the HDMI ARC cable?

Internet router, the Shield remotes, wireless keyboard.

• What is the length of the HDMI ARC cable?

It is 2m longs.

• Has the issue been there since the first day the two devices were setup together?

Yes

• Have you done cable management on your Audio/Video devices? e.g. tying cables together or binding them together in order to tidy things up.

No, just ordinary "mess" of cables.

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Thanks for your clear answers. It looks to me like there are a lot of similar wireless devices in-use in the neighborhood of the HDMI ARC cable.

The problem is that HDMI cables are manufactured with different qualities when it comes to EMI (Electro Magnetic Interference) shielding. The worse thing one can do to HDMI cables (same for Ethernet cables) is to tie them up parallel with mains cables, or run them too close to subwoofers or wireless emitting devices. Certified HDMI cables are always required to pass certain EMI tests to obtain their certification. I would recommend you order and replace the HDMI cable between the TV and the AVR with for example this one for £9: http://amzn.eu/6m5dHXN

But if you prefer not to replace the cable, you could also as a test, place your Wi-Fi router preferably at a different location, disconnect (cut power source) the wireless keyboard, the BT headphones and the Shield controllers. Also turn off the Wi-Fi and BT radio on the TV. Then try to test run your HDMI ARC link for a few days to check if the issue is resolved.

The original HDMI cable that was supplied with your PS4 might also be a better cable as to EMI shielding. If you decide to order a certified HDMI cable after all, try to order the minimum length required by your setup to connect the two devices.

I can’t think of any other reason for your problem. As you don’t have any suspicious external devices connected to the the TV or AVR.

So go ahead and do the test run for a few days then post back your results.