Join now - be part of our community!

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

Android 8.0 Oreo/ 9.0 Pie

Is it OK to expect Android Oreo on 2017 Sony Android TVs?

641 REPLIES 641
profile.country.GR.title
zer0ner0

I have just tried and confirmed the split scrren function on Oreo. Nevertheless, it is hidden and you will need a keyboard. The key combibation (windows/ command)+([ or ]) initiates the split screen. I have tested it with youtube anf google play store apps side by side. The separating line between the two apps is moveable/ adjustable using a mouse. Not the most easy to access function but it is there.

profile.country.GR.title
Johnickz

My wife made it accidentaly with keyboard (women), and I played with it but couldnt repeat it although I pressed all the keys on the keyboard! Nice feature and thank you for the combo!

Na sai kala file, xairetismous!

profile.country.GR.title
zer0ner0

The interesting thing is that during an alt+tab key combination to access the running apps, I was presented with an option to drag an app in a certain region to initiate split screen, but I couldn't replicate it (make this option emerge again). But the command+[ or ] combo is a good alternative.

profile.country.RO.title
opmdsm
Explorer

Oreo is not available in Romania too...

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

my  65 XE 9305 still isnt getting the  Oreo update even  though  automatic  updates is on  ive tried updating it by selecting check for updates  and it thinks its up to  date even though the software version is still  prefixed  with  7. which is Nougat??  Apps have updated though and the iplayerapp   is knowable to  get and  view the BBC  4k HDR content so that's good.

not sure if its worth trying to  update it via Usb as  some on this thread have  had thier tv's 'bricked' by the update 😞

profile.country.GB.title
ChrisaLyd_12

Thought i'd jump back in and say that the UI issue has now been fixed.

However, I have come to the conclusion that HDR is still in its infancy and it depends on the broadcast/content being viewed.

As an example, on our XF9005, The Grand Tour in 4K HDR looks washed out and dull, however without changing any settings on the TV, when playing The Man in the High Castle again on PRIME video, it looks fantastic!

Again with Netflix, Altered Carbon in DV looks stunning!

I am under the impression that the Bravia is not at fault but more the content being played.

I am yet to try a 4K Blu-Ray as a 'native' source of 4K HDR content - any recommendations to the best eye-candy available?!

Thanks 😀

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

thanks for your reply butmy post was about  my xe9305 not  getting the Oreo update even  though ivegot automatic updates enabled and  even if I  manually chose check  for updates.

the software version on my Bravia is 7. xxxx which is nougat it should update to Oreo 8

BTW  the wimbledon  4K HDR content via the Updated  BBC iPlayer app looked very good. 

profile.country.RO.title
13commander
Explorer

Does anybody has problem using the casting feature after the v6.6520 Update?

When trying to cast from the Youtube/Plex/Netflix apps I get errors. The TV doesn't react at all...

I haven't tried a factory reset yet... I guess that's the last thing to do...

KD-49XD7005 TV here) 

Edit: Just got an update to the Chromecast App. Now it's working again...

profile.country.GB.title
Jadesa11y

profile.country.GB.title
Russ_64
Explorer

I decided to update my XE93 to latest firmware on support website. Downloaded and updated using USB - all went fine and now have Oreo.  Everything seems to be the same, all my settings are still there and did not need to do a factory reset.  Only used it for a few days as I have now replaced this TV with a new Panasonic OLED. 

So long Sony - I doubt we will meet again.................