Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

profile.country.GB.title
ajwool

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

So, will we finally get Bbc iPlayer support in time for the World Cup? Announcement coming imminently:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-4k-hdr-world-cup-confirmation-week-away

529 REPLIES 529
profile.country.GB.title
Jimmybrick

Get any reply’s? 

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

@rgledhill wrote:

The Nvidia Shield has its own custom build of the iPlayer App and it's already documented elsewhere that it doesn't support the beta or UHD features.   However if we can extract an APK from another TV that works, but doesn't use YouView, it would be worth a try...

(By the way your posts always come up rather garbled - are you using a strange App to access the forums instead of the website?  Useful info though for v6 boxes :))

yes i know the  shield's iplayer app doesnt work  my reply was for the person who wanted to  extract the iplayer apk from another device. it wont work because the iplayer app on the virgin box forexample tests the  speed of the hdmi port so i  seriously doubt if  iplayer apps from other will work ifyou  extract the apks from otherdevices.

Ive sent you a message to  eplain why my posts  often  come up  garbled :tongue:

profile.country.GB.title
rgledhill

Just checking (about ripping APKs etc) as we end up with multiple threads within the same thread sometimes so I was hoping to avoid confusion.

No offence intended about the garbled posts, hopefully none was taken!  I know that some alternative apps for message boards, particularly with different character sets or native languages, can have a similar effect so I wanted to see if I could help with a setting.

Thanks for the ongoing help for people :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Jimmybrick

This comical. 

KD-49XE9005

Xbox one x

fire tv 4k

panasonic dmp - ub700

playstation 4

sony str-dn1080 . 

Apart from the amp, all output 4k and not one supports iPlayer in 4k. And after reading through this thread it looks like iv been sold a tv that’s not fit for purpose. So much for future proofing. 🙁🙁

profile.country.GB.title
bemaniac84

Not really, I mean the UHD stream on Roku+ works on all these tvs because
Sony added an update for HLG over HDMI so for £60 everyone can get it. The
stream is really dark on Sony screens under 1000cd/m2 though so I've
ordered a new Philips 1000nit HDR monitor and am going to watch the world
Cup on that in my office because the 55XD8599 outputs a laughable 140nits.
profile.country.GB.title
romipat

@Jimmybrick wrote:

This comical. 

KD-49XE9005

Xbox one x

fire tv 4k

panasonic dmp - ub700

playstation 4

sony str-dn1080 . 

Apart from the amp, all output 4k and not one supports iPlayer in 4k. And after reading through this thread it looks like iv been sold a tv that’s not fit for purpose. So much for future proofing. 🙁🙁

most of us feel the same and im pretty sure they now how we feel from our support  calls  and incidentswhich we  have created.  so can only hope that they  takeour feedback onboard and fix the issue and roll out the   fix in the  next   firmware upgrade. until then  wewill have to useworkatouns like sing  externnal   devices. I  have i say that  after changing my  virgin v6 box' output to   4k pass through  my  xe9305 is doing a stellar job at upscaling the 1080  feed

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

@bemaniac84 wrote:
Not really, I mean the UHD stream on Roku+ works on all these tvs because
Sony added an update for HLG over HDMI so for £60 everyone can get it. The
stream is really dark on Sony screens under 1000cd/m2 though so I've
ordered a new Philips 1000nit HDR monitor and am going to watch the world
Cup on that in my office because the 55XD8599 outputs a laughable 140nits.
 ah ok  im not familar  with your model  but my 65 xe9305's PQ is excellent and its one of the  brightest  around  which iswhy it excells with hdr content and its also one of the best  upscalling sets out there. its  1400 nits a light cannon

profile.country.GB.title
bemaniac84

Yeah the 8599 was always marketed as 1000nit certified in all but name in
the reviews but in actuality with measurements and clear results from the
Roku feed it is dull. Really dull. Anyone watching on any Sony that isn't a
9000 will be suffering a dull feed. You 7xxx 8xxx users will be very sad
when you see it.
profile.country.GB.title
jan.hansen957

Has anyone considered suing Sony? A big class litigation.

Any lawyers here?? 

profile.country.GB.title
BigUglyGac

@jan.hansen957 wrote:

Has anyone considered suing Sony? A big class litigation.

Any lawyers here?? 

on what grounds,  as far as i can tell with my own set they didnt miss sell it, they just made a very short sighted set for a top end model. cant take them to court for being cheap.