Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

profile.country.GB.title
ajwool

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

So, will we finally get Bbc iPlayer support in time for the World Cup? Announcement coming imminently:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-4k-hdr-world-cup-confirmation-week-away

529 REPLIES 529
profile.country.GB.title
pb1965

Indeed. In Germany, HD broadcast tv is only 720p. 

profile.country.GB.title
benjy86

Ps4 says 1080 under information
profile.country.GB.title
JannEejit
Explorer

Just joined up here to try and understand why I can't enjoy UHD World Cup on my 6 month old Sony KD-55XE8396, a 2017 model. I've read through most of the thread and understand the issues as well as sharing the dissapointment. What I don't get is that my set is saying 'up to date' with the following software version... PKG6.2858.0082EUA Is this as good as it gets ? It appears to be way below the required firmware number for ULG support (v6.5603), and yes I know my model isn't on the i-player official list anyway, but ?

profile.country.GB.title
jan.hansen957

Pb1965:

That is simply not true. Germany has several 1080p channels, and Sky Deutschland is also airing the World Cup in 4K quality. Great for the Germans!!!

https://www.whathifi.com/news/sky-deutschland-to-broadcast-world-cup-2018-in-4k

profile.country.GB.title
pb1965

I think you’ll find it is true as reported by the in-built satellite tuner of my 65XE9005. There may well be exceptions (4K for example (that’s UHD though - not HD!)) but certainly German PSB HD satellite broadcasts are 720p. 

profile.country.GB.title
jan.hansen957

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2016/06/06/dvb-t2-to-launch-in-germany-with-40-channels/

and 4K: Seems like Germany got QVC UHD Germany, Sky Sport Bundesliga UHD, Sky Sport UHD, Pearl TV 4K UHD, RTL UHD, UHD1 by ASTRA / HD + over satellite

In other words; a lot of 1080p and a few 4K channels. Some of the channels don't show every program in 4K, but you do get football, movies, documentaries and so on. Great to be Deutsch.

profile.country.GB.title
pb1965

Interesting read. But it’s still only 720p via satellite. Since I’m not in Germany I can’t receive their DVB-T2 signals. So that’s of no interest to me. 

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

Ok this i going off topic  now.Please create a new thread if you want to discuss german hd feeds. As  for the world cup on iplayer and our Sony's  I think the bottom line is that wewont get it using the  built in iplayer app and aspparently thier engineers are working on this so for now its either HD or using an external player like  virgin's V6  box or sky Q or Rocu boxes

profile.country.GB.title
BigUglyGac

the problem is romipat the engineers can work away all they want but for many of us now it seems the sets just arnt capable of streaming 4k hdr at 60fps. and with the bbc looking at 50fps for sports and maybe everything else we will never be able to do it without buying a external box of some type. 

profile.country.GB.title
romipat

yea I know and m   gutted like everyone elsemy  xe 9305 is only 6 months old but not alot we can do except wait for them to pull  thier fingers out or use external boxes. on a positive note  apart from the  4 k iplayer issue  the picture quality of the tv's are  extremly good as is  the upscaling capability.