Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

profile.country.GB.title
ajwool

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

So, will we finally get Bbc iPlayer support in time for the World Cup? Announcement coming imminently:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-4k-hdr-world-cup-confirmation-week-away

529 REPLIES 529
profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@mobilyuk wrote:
Is Roku definitely on the list? Virgin was TBC last I saw

Yeh, was added recently, take a look.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/latest-news/live-uhd

Roku2017Roku Streaming Stick+

Obviously Roku made the effort, unlike Sony.

profile.country.GB.title
speedyrite

As I've previously said elsewhere, love the 55XE9005 (except for the dropped frame issue, for which the workaround is acceptable to me) but this BBC 4K/UHD issue takes the biscuit.

As a result I've totally given up on Sony as far as getting this to work is concerned.

In fact, I've given up totally on Android TV and the internal apps.

The way ahead for me is to use external devices for 4K/UHD sources via the Roku Streaming Stick+ (and the Apple TV 4K).

And for good measure, have decided to never ever buy anything Sony ever again!

All faith and trust in the Sony brand is totally gone.

profile.country.GB.title
rgledhill

This thread has turned rather vitriolic against Sony and in some ways it's fair, in some ways it's not.

If it were easy to fix making iPlayer 4k HDR work, Sony/BBC would have done it.  It's clearly a technically complex problem caused by the interaction of specific hardware in these specific models, against the way that the BBC has chosen to implement the 4k HDR stream.  It's no different to any other Android systems in this sense; when I bought my new Huawei P20 Lite phone, for instance, the Eurosport Player App failed to work because of some weird, unfortunate combination of hardware, software and App.  They did sort it after some weeks but it was evidently easy to fix when they knew the problem; the iPlayer problem evidently is not easy.

An Android TV is basically a phone without the phone bit, and with a monster panel.  Therefore it suffers all the same problems as Android phones do, in particular compatibility with enormous variations in hardware and software.  Things change, such as iPlayer; the original iPlayer HLG demo worked fine, for instance, but upping it to 4k and changing some encoding systems broke it for a small combination of software and hardware (unfortunately, our combination!) which is frustrating.  However, the BBC and Sony have to concentrate on covering the largest number of people possible in the remaining time, and that means that relatively low-volume combinations (such as us) are lower down the pecking order than sorting out combinations that sell in greater quantities.  This is no different to everywhere else in the Android-based industry.

All this "I remember when Sony was great and customer-focused" nonsense is tedious.  Rose-tinted spectacles remember when TVs were just TVs and all they had to support was an aerial and maybe SCART, which was of course easier.  Even then, some combinations of RGB sources, widescreen switching and so on didn't work, but it never got fixed, you just had to lump it.  At least now they do work on fixes where they can.

Similarly "I'm never buying a Sony again" is also rather petulant.  If you look on the BBC iPlayer 4k HDR list, there are enormous numbers of Panasonic models that also aren't supported, and they don't even run Android.

The grass is always greener when things don't work; I changed from Panasonic to Sony to get better motion processing, which it has, but meanwhile lost the ability to do 60fps from YouTube and have to suffer a slow Android interface.  I bet if you dig deeply, you'll find just as many problems with various specific models from all the manufacturers.

It's also unfair to shoot the messenger and have a go at the customer support reps.  They can only go on the information they're given by their techies and software development teams.  Asking them again and again is a bit like asking who'll win the World Cup repeatedly; you'll get an answer when it's sorted and until then, it's somewhere in the system being diagnosed.

If you want to go off and strop and never buy a Sony again, then that's your prerogative and feel free to do so.  However the bottom line is that no TV is perfect, every system has incompatibilities and nothing works 100% now or will do so in the future.  I'm sure the Roku kit is good (though I've had all sorts of problems with the Roku-based NowTV boxes over the years) so if you absolutely must have 4k instead of HD for some football, go for it.

Meanwhile we will just have to wait until we get a definitive answer from Sony and the BBC - which I rather suspect won't be for some time after the World Cup which is no doubt causing masses of overtime at the BBC to support.  Remember the BBC isn't contracted to do this, it's a dry run before rolling out proper 4k HDR in future and it just happens that they're doing their beta testing in public instead of behind closed doors.  While this is great for the public to see what things are going on, the flip side is that those who can't have it (yet) always feel slighted and sometimes lose sight of the fact that this is still very much a work in progress.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

TBH, thats all I want a diffinitive answer from Sony, is my 2017 model getting support or have Sony moved on? We have missed the WC either way.

PS: @speedyrite is the work around to use gamemode for sport?

profile.country.GB.title
speedyrite

@stormyuk wrote:

TBH, thats all I want a diffinitive answer from Sony, is my 2017 model getting support or have Sony moved on? We have missed the WC either way.

PS: @speedyrite is the work around to use gamemode for sport?

Effectively yes, but have found that Game mode is only needed to solve the dropped frame issue when watching the attached YouView PVR on HDMI 1, because the issue never seems to happen when watching anything via the Roku 2 (now replaced by the Roku 3810EU) on HDMI 2 nor via the Apple TV on HDMI 3 (both those ports are using custom mode with personalised settings that have all the bells & whistles set to OFF, which is my preference same as a key contributor on this subject over at AVForums).

profile.country.GB.title
speedyrite

@rgledhill wrote:

This thread has turned rather vitriolic against Sony and in some ways it's fair, in some ways it's not.

If it were easy to fix making iPlayer 4k HDR work, Sony/BBC would have done it.....

Fair comment. Sorry I feel very anti-Sony at present.

I spent quite a long time researching what to buy to replace a previous Sony TV and decided the 55XE9005 was the one I liked the best.

In most respects, I love this TV. Once customised to personal taste, the picture quality is excellent.

The main reason for getting it was to get a certain amount of future-proofing, which for me effectively means being able to access 4K/UHD content now. I've not been terribly impressed by Android TV, but to be truthful I didn't buy it for the Smart TV features, so turning those all off/not using them isn't a big deal really (and it seems to make the TV run faster). But this BBC/Sony issue is farcical really as far as Sony 2017 4K Android models is concerned and, regardless of whose fault it is, has dragged on far too long to the detriment of the end consumer. Hence my anti Sony attitude. Maybe LG next time, they were my close 2nd as I recall.

All of the above is of course just my opinion. You and every other reader will have their own, which may differ from yours and mine.

profile.country.GB.title
rgledhill

Thanks guys, that's rather more like it :slight_smile:  And I do totally agree that it's frustrating and disappointing.  In most ways, I love this TV, it's just hampered by using Android and in this case whatever compatibility problem is preventing the BBC's specific implementation of 4k HDR.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@speedyrite wrote:

Effectively yes, but have found that Game mode is only needed to solve the dropped frame issue when watching the attached YouView PVR on HDMI 1,

I am not sure what HDMI port my Youview box is in, but I have noticed the stutter/repeat on Motorsport on ITV4 but the same programme on ITVHD it was fine? Maybe it was only 50hz on ITV4 and no ITVHD?

Does the HDMI make a difference as I will probably be watching the World Cup in HD on the Youview box? I might even record it to log this repeat thing if I can really be bothered to jump through the hoops others have to get these swapped.

Cheers,

profile.country.GB.title
BigUglyGac

the issue for me rgledhill is that sony seem to be in a muddle over what they are actually doing and the hit and miss support for the iplayer 4k stuff. 

i dropped a lot of money on a supposed top end tv and now im being left to chase both sony and the bbc for any sort of answer and all i get is fobbed off and then a finger point from sony to the bbc or vice versa. frustration doesnt even come close to how im feeling now. for sony to look like its given up on supporting some sets over others with no explanation is a joke and shows once they have your money they dont really give a monkeys. 

like i said my last email from sony was them stating its not their fault but the bbc;s fault for not setting up the iplayer to work on my specific set and nothing to do with the firmware not being updated. so yeah sony can take a running jump come my next tv purchase. 

profile.country.GB.title
rgledhill

Unfortunately when it's a compatibility problem like this, it takes two to tango, i.e. both the BBC and Sony need to work together to fix it which inevitably takes time - initially for them both to realise it's a combined problem.  I think that's where they're at now, hopefully!

I do totally sympathise (this TV is double the cost of my previous Panasonic that it replaced so I'm feeling let down too); I'm just saying don't expect everything to be roses wherever you go next as there will always be patchy compatibility during development of new features, which is what this is.