Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

profile.country.GB.title
ajwool

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

So, will we finally get Bbc iPlayer support in time for the World Cup? Announcement coming imminently:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-4k-hdr-world-cup-confirmation-week-away

529 REPLIES 529
profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Sony engineers will be busy watching the WC on supported models. :slight_smile: I am thinking we probably won't ever get it unless the BBC reduce the quality so our crappy TVs can cope with it.

You won't get a response BUG.

profile.country.GB.title
ajoysarkar

Got a reply from Sony. Only a few models are supported

seems they are going to put something on their website

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00199547

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Yeh that was posted above, basically no Android TV sets from 2016 or 2017 from Sony. Just like Blue Planet fiasco all over again.

profile.country.GB.title
speedyrite

@romipat wrote:

but  if there are dropped frames im certainly not seeing  or noticing them. 

That's the thing with the dropped frames issue - some people are more susceptible to seeing it than others. It's blindingly obvious to me when it happens! I see it, but Mrs. s. doesn't notice...

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@speedyrite wrote:

@romipat wrote:

but  if there are dropped frames im certainly not seeing  or noticing them. 

That's the thing with the dropped frames issue - some people are more susceptible to seeing it than others. It's blindingly obvious to me when it happens! I see it, but Mrs. s. doesn't notice...

Mine didn't until I pointed it out, now she does! Ooops. I have actually now written to Sony and John Lewis about it as its just another on going issue with the XE90. In my opinion its a material defect and should be covered by consumer rights or my John Lewis warranty (the stutter/repeat that is, not the iplayer, we don't have a leg to stand on with that), as its been present from day one with what appears very little hope of being rectified.

I guess the World Cup at 50hz in HD is going to get me to hate this TV in the end.

profile.country.GB.title
Itom86

I just saw the article about uhd world cup supported models. What happened with the 2016 autumn models as they are not on the list anymore?!

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@Itom86 wrote:

I just saw the article about uhd world cup supported models. What happened with the 2016 autumn models as they are not on the list anymore?!

Nope, not supported. 😞

profile.country.GB.title
BigUglyGac

more updates from twitter land, fadi got back in touch and had this to say. 

Hi, we are aware of the community discussions and can confirm this is not related to an issue with the frames per second. But it's as stated in the article above that not all Sony 4K devices are compatible to support this specific trial. (1/2)

Our engineers are currently working on a solution to this. Furthermore, the information in the email you received from our support team is admittedly incorrect and we deeply apologize for that. ^Fadi (2/2)

nice they cleared up the dodgy info i got from the email but the part about the fps not being the issue seems odd after what we all figured out last night with the difference between 30 and 60 fps in hdr titles if its not the fps and the extra data the processor is having to handle im at a loss as to what it is. iv asked them if they can get someone at sony to post what exactly the issue is. 

profile.country.GB.title
rgledhill

Very interesting!  Thanks for posting it up.  It'll be interesting to see what further replies we get.  At least they're aware of the frustration then...

profile.country.GB.title
newbix

The ZD9 was on the BBC list. But today it's gone.....******** sony bunch of ****