Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

profile.country.GB.title
ajwool

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

So, will we finally get Bbc iPlayer support in time for the World Cup? Announcement coming imminently:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-4k-hdr-world-cup-confirmation-week-away

529 REPLIES 529
profile.country.GB.title
rgledhill

Seriously, not the "suing" question again please.  Yawn.

profile.country.GB.title
BigUglyGac

@rgledhill wrote:

Seriously, not the "suing" question again please.  Yawn.

indeed, i just wants ony support to be honest and tell us exactly what our sets can support and if we will ever be able to have 4k hdr 60fps from any provider on them. im guessing not but seems sonys unable or unwilling to be honest about it. 

profile.country.GB.title
rgledhill

It's not fair to blame support.  That's like blaming your local car dealer for not being able to tell you when the car manufacturer will add Android Auto support to their cars.  They can only tell you what they're told, anything else is as much of a guess as you or I could make.

We need a clear statement from the development team that they are intending/hoping to add support for it, which virtually no manufacturer will give because if for some reason they realise it's not possible, they would be breaking a promise.  Therefore all you will get is that "our engineers are looking into it".

No point moaning any further; raise a question with Sony so that they know how many people are angry, then we'll all just have to wait I'm afraid.

profile.country.GB.title
BigUglyGac

wait until we buy new tv's for a lot of us. but not sonys next time :tongue:

profile.country.GB.title
rgledhill

That's up to you of course :slight_smile: but for me, despite these frustrations, the Sony was the best choice out there, particularly as I got my 49XE9005 for £820 when the XF was £1300.  And other manufacturers have other flaws too...

profile.country.GB.title
BigUglyGac

yeah same for me at the time the sony seemed the best set, but the way they seem unwilling to be plain about the spec is annoying now. been looking trying to findout what the virgin boxes and the roku's output at to see if they only do 30 or 60, now the virgin v6 from what i can tell does 30hz but the roku can do 60, but on its website all it says you will get a better experience IF you're set supports 60 leading me to believe that it does 30/60 depending on your set so possibly with sets like mine that cant do 4k 60hz hdr this is the way around the iplayers 50hz signal so technically your getting 4k hdr just not the high refresh rate. 

guess it will be new tv time sooner than i expected oh well. 

profile.country.GB.title
rgledhill

I think the issue is not with displaying 60Hz (which their specs do state very clearly); the problem lies in the processing power needed to decode high-bandwidth data streams at 60Hz.  As I understand it, it's fine to send 60Hz through from things like the Roku 4k+ stick, it's just the internal Apps that fail.

I ran YouTube on my PS3 and it played 60fps videos flawlessly through the TV (but not 4k or HDR on a PS3, of course).

profile.country.GB.title
pb1965

I saw a Roku Streaming Stick+ set to 4K HDR 60Hz, outputting iPlayer UHD to an XE9005 at the weekend and it seemed to be working ok. 

profile.country.GB.title
samcdonnell
Explorer

Hi,

Just another angry voice to add to the mix. Bought my 55inch A1 just before christmas with blue planet and the world cup in 4k in mind and still no luck with either. I was wondering, and apologies if this has already been covered, but in this software update https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/downloads/00015236 it states iplayer HDR should now be supported. Have Sony said why it still isnt?

profile.country.GB.title
bemaniac84

Yes, the Roku+ has a really decent processor and is the fastest and most
responsive stick I've used. The UHD streams don't tend to run out of spaces
throughout the whole match either. They show up not on the live page but
the first launch page about 3 minutes after the program begins. If you
switch to live then back to first page until UHD shows up I find that is a
guaranteed way to get in.

Could be different tonight as I assume the England match will run out of
bandwidth. I'll be setting router to bond 4 channels for 833mbps
throughput.