Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

profile.country.GB.title
ajwool

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

So, will we finally get Bbc iPlayer support in time for the World Cup? Announcement coming imminently:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-4k-hdr-world-cup-confirmation-week-away

529 REPLIES 529
profile.country.GB.title
jan.hansen957

Simply untrue. I played the UHD in World Cup through Kodi. MPD-Dash file.
It is doable. I just don't get it. The 2017 and 2018 version consists of
the same SOC, doesn't they? A9F has a new SOC.

The XD80 isn't fast, but when Kodi can do it, Sony should have made an
effort for us. They clearly have not.
profile.country.GB.title
bemaniac84

The bitrate is something you can do over usb or Netflix so no idea why it
shouldn't be possible via any app. Any 2015 TV can do this. They put utter
tripe inside Polaroid/Alba tvs and they can do it.
profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@jan.hansen957 wrote:
Simply untrue. I played the UHD in World Cup through Kodi. MPD-Dash file.
It is doable. I just don't get it. The 2017 and 2018 version consists of
the same SOC, doesn't they? A9F has a new SOC.

The XD80 isn't fast, but when Kodi can do it, Sony should have made an
effort for us. They clearly have not.

The 2017 Sony Android TVs still don't support it, even though Sony keep claiming they do, the only TVs which support it are the 2017 Sony non-Android TVs or the 2018 models. So its not just the XD guys left behind.

The XF has the exact same SOC as the XE yet Sony still can't get the XE working! I have yet another open case file with Sony for what its worth.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

From my experience, apps have to be well optimized to properly cope with high resolution high frame rate content (2160p50/2160p60). They better use asynchronous data processing and tunneled playback via MediaCodec. Also Kodi exhibits occasional stuttering when playing back certain content (e.g. the Sony Camp Demo with 2160p60 @ 80mbps) over network on Sony ATV2 devices (and it is not a bandwidth limitation).

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@Kuschelmonschter wrote:

@From my experience, apps have to be well optimized to properly cope with high resolution high frame rate content (2160p50/2160p60). They better use asynchronous data processing and tunneled playback via MediaCodec. Also Kodi exhibits occasional stuttering when playing back certain content (e.g. the Sony Camp Demo with 2160p60 @ 80mbps) over network on Sony ATV2 devices (and it is not a bandwidth limitation).

Yeh, I agree there, I noticed that with Smart YouTube TV it tends to pre-buffer the content to maintain the 2160p60 performance, something the regular YouTube app appears not to do, and hence is a stutter fest. You obviously can't do that with Live content.

The only issue I have with the argument is both the XE9005 and XF9005 share the same Mediatek SOC, the XF9005 has confirmed working iPlayer UHD support (although granted, I don't know what the performance is like, the BBC have certified it so they must be fairly content).

However, saying all that the PS4 support for iPlayer UHD is not exactly stellar imo (as it suffers from microstutters to my eyes which the BBC deny) and I had to force the TV to do motion compensation (very aggresive motionflow and filmmode) to get a smooth presentation in the World Cup.

profile.country.GB.title
Geedouble

It’s all working now.

Launched iplayer on xe9005 2017 model today and “Dynasties” is available in UHD and looks great . Test loop available as well. Merry Christmas 

profile.country.GB.title
benjy86

Yes in uhd it's working but not hdr
profile.country.GB.title
ScrattyTV

Makes you wonder if this was the original problem and it will never be fixed with HDR. 

profile.country.GB.title
JannEejit
Explorer

I see it on my KD-55XE8396 (2017) as well. There's also a UHD test loop
located within the settings menu showing a BBC football match (West Brom v
Southampton). Seems to be playing OK other than I could not stop
'Dynasties' playing and could only exit i-player by pressing the home
button on the remote control. A huge leap forward though and a great way to
celebrate the end of my 12 months payment plan.
profile.country.GB.title
romipat

whilst I havent tried or tested it yet but on my other android devices pressing the home   button twice brings up a task manager and lets you close tasks down so if you couldn't stop  the  dynasty feed you could try to force the app to close like that hth