Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer Blue Planet 2 uhd hdr

profile.country.GB.title
darrenj11

BBC iPlayer Blue Planet 2 uhd hdr

10th December this will be available on uhd and hdr on Sony 2017 models. 

Did anyone hear of a plan to introduce the  BBC hdr to older Sony models? I believe they are using a different type of hdr than currently installed on the 2015 /2016 models. 

82 REPLIES 82
profile.country.GB.title
lotkas
Explorer

Looking into the official spec of DVB-DASH it looks like this is something related to streaming over IP and is purely supported by the application. I recon Android TV version of BBC iPlayer or YouView has no support implemented yet.

profile.country.GB.title
copicke45

I suspect too that it is the Android TV version of the iPlayer app not supporting DVB-DASH. Would explain the strange situation of cheaper TVs having better capability than the expensive ones. How embarassing - wonder if it is a technical or legal issue (maybe Android is 'too open' to hackers and the IP rights holder doesn't want to allow DVB-DASH to be implemented on it?)

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

It begs the question what were Sony playing at when they added HLG support. Half a job?

profile.country.GB.title
jimandjane116

Just checked and my 65XE9005 does not seem to be able to access the Blue Planet in HDR. Why did I invest in the supposedly superior set?

profile.country.GB.title
copicke45

Yep - My 55XE9005 similarly can't access it. Frankly, it isn't good enough. Spend well over a grand on the latest tech only to find that it is less capable than a much cheaper set from the same manufacturer.

Did anyone from Sony realise that making HLG available on the set, they might need to ensure that the Android Apps could actually use it?

profile.country.GB.title
mobilyuk

I complained to the BBC and will let you know what they say. I saw that a Finlux TV is showing it in 4K!

Tags (1)
profile.country.GB.title
jimandjane116

I have emailed Sony Support to complain. I will see what they reply with, if I gret a reply.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@SonyUK tweeted this earlier when asked about Blue Planet II UHD on the XE80. Maybe there is hope. (A similar tweet has appeared quoting support on the A1 also). Maybe Sony are now allowed to talk about it?

https://twitter.com/SonyUK/status/940222436833972225

profile.country.GB.title
maharri9651
Explorer

I've noticed that the Sky Q box is on that Iplayer compatability list, however Sony's X800 4k blu-ray player (which does have an Iplayer app) isn't included. Now AFAIK thats not android based so there shouldn't be a reason why that cant stream iplayer in 4K instead of using the Tv's iplayer app. Seems to be a bit of a Sony fail here....

profile.country.GB.title
mobilyuk

BBC are looking into my concerns. For context Sony have told me that the XE9005 sets have all the necessary updates to receive Blue Planet in 4k.