Join now - be part of our community!

Connect Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones to Android TV

profile.country.HR.title
itrgovcic
Explorer

Connect Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones to Android TV

I couldn’t find the solution anywhere so here are the steps that worked for me while trying to connect my Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones to my Sony KD-55XF8096 Android TV. I believe that these steps will work with most Android TVs. You would think that connecting two Sony devices would be a breeze. You’d be wrong.

Even though the official Sony web page says that only certain TV models (mine is not one of them) are compatible with WH-1000XM3, this works.

You’ll need 4 apps:

• Mouse Toggle for Android TV
  • Bluetooth Scanner for Android TV
  • X-plore File Manager for Android TV
  • Sony Headphones Connect apk

1. On Android TV go to Google Play store and download (buy) Mouse Toggle for Android TV ($2.99). Alternatively, find the other (free) app with the same functionality.

• This app allows you to turn on the mouse pointer and control it with the remote control when the system doesn’t allow it. This is the case with the Sony Headphones Connect apk that is not native to Android TV so there are some appearance issues (horizontal screen) and the inability to select different buttons. Mouse Toggle is needed so that you can select different buttons in the Sony Headphones app after you install and run it on the Android TV.
  • After running the app, select OPEN SYSTEM SETTINGS where you can now turn the mouse toggle on. As described in the app, activate the mouse pointer by double clicking PLAY/PAUSE on the remote control. In my case, it only works with PAUSE. You can deactivate the mouse pointer at any time by clicking the HOME button on the remote control.
  • NOTE: After configuring this the first time, you won’t need to open the Mouse Toggle app anymore to turn the mouse pointer on or off, just use PLAY/PAUSE/HOME

2. On Android TV go to Google Play store and download Bluetooth Scanner for Android TV.

• This app overrides the TV’s software limitation that prevents some Bluetooth devices of connecting with the TV (Bluetooth headphones, speakers…).
  • Before scanning for bluetooth devices, make sure that the headphones and the Android TV bluetooth are turned on.
  • Start the Bluetooth Scanner for Android TV app, scan for devices in range and, when the headphones are found, select them to pair. After pairing, the headphones are visible in the Android TV bluetooth settings.
  • This should be enough for most Bluetooth headphones/speakers, but not for the Sony WH-1000XM3 (and, probably, other Sony headphones that use Sony Headphones Connect app). Further steps are needed for the WH-1000XM3 to work.

3. On Android TV go to Google Play store and download X-plore File Manager for Android TV. Alternatively, find the other app with the same functionality.

• This app is needed to install and run the Sony Headphones Connect apk.

4. Download the Sony Headphones Connect apk from the web, then transfer it to the TV via a USB memory and install it using the X-plore File Manager.

5. Start the Sony Headphones Connect app using the X-plore File Manager. You’ll see that the screen of the app is turned horizontally, but that’s because the Sony Headphones Connect apk you downloaded isn’t native to Android TV system.

• Turn the mouse pointer ON (double click PLAY/PAUSE button) and follow the steps the app requires to register the headphones.
  • Finally, if all the steps are done correctly, the headphones should be connected to the TV.

NOTE: Every future connecting of the WH-1000XM3 to the TV will require to start the Sony Headphones Connect app manually via the X-plore File Manager and click the CONNECT button.

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Normally the App Bluetooth Pair work fine...

profile.country.HR.title
itrgovcic
Explorer

I tried Bluetooth Pair and it does the same thing as Bluetooth Scanner, it makes pairing possible but the WH-1000XM3 didn't work until I used the Sony Headphones Connect app on the TV.

profile.country.GB.title
Dom191984
Explorer

Hi, 

Thank you so much for your guide. However I am having issues with the headphone connect app. Because I cannot see all of the screen I am stuck trying to check the user agreement check box. Is there anyway to scroll across? 

Cheers 

profile.country.HR.title
itrgovcic
Explorer

Hi,

Sorry for the late answer.

I'm not sure what it looks like so that you can't see the whole screen.

But there is a workaround that might help you. Just connect a USB mouse to your TV, and then try to scroll.

Hope it helps.

Cheers

Mate, 

Brilliant bit of work this, working like a charm. 

The guy who said he couldn't tick the permissions because of the stretched screen....

I had the same issue, pressed back and it got rid of the permissions, I assume it was for access to location or some such, it then let me continue with the Mouse app. 

profile.country.HR.title
itrgovcic
Explorer

Glad to be of help :slight_smile: