Join now - be part of our community!

Connecting old PC 5.1 analogue speakers

RalfyM
Explorer

Connecting old PC 5.1 analogue speakers

Hello,

I have a new 55X8509C TV which came with a free sounderbar/sub combo. The sound is almost as bad as the inbuilt speakers. What I'm hopinh to do is connect my old PC analogue 5.1 speakers to the TV. I also like the sound of the ARC feature for automatically switching speakers on and off. After a bit of research I've come to the conclusion I need to buy a a home audio receiver which has HDMI ARC on it, then to connect my speakers minus the sub to it (since the PC sub is a poered amp), and then connect an additional sub, perhaps the free one I got.  Does this sound correct to people or is there an alternate way of connecting old PC speakers (bear in mind the PC speakers have no optical or HDMI input)?

Am I correcting in my understanding that with the receiver ARC connection any sound from the TV (free to air, Netflix, streamed, HDD content) is output through this ARC connection and therefore, of course and most obviously through the speakers? It seems on this TV model only HDML ARC connections allow the TV volume remote controls to control the volume through the receiver. Optical connections mean controlling the receiver volumn independant of the TV. Could someone confirm this please? 

Many thanks in advance,

Craig

1 REPLY 1
RalfyM
Explorer

As a bit of additional information I need to say the PC speakers are powered through the sub (so assume this sub is also the amplifier). The sub takes 3 3.5mm jacks in (center, side, rear) then outputs to the speakers via RCA. Apparently I cannot just connect the existing center, side and rear speakers to the AV receiver as they are "active" speakers. Again does this sound right to anyone?

I'm getting desperate now to get to a solution that doesn't hopefully involve speanding an enourmous amount of money on a brand new and complete speaker system. I'd really like to re-use as much as what I have.

Regards,

Craig