Join now - be part of our community!

Connecting Sony Android TV, Sony Home Theatre and PS3 together

Connecting Sony Android TV, Sony Home Theatre and PS3 together

Hello All,

I have a PS3 connected to my TV via a HDMI cable. This has optical and HDMI.

I have a Sony Bravia HDTV Android TV (50W95D Series) - This has ARC support, 4 HDMI's, 1 Digital Optical Audio Out, MHL Support.

I have a Sony Home Theatre System (Blu-ray) BDV-E870 Series. This does not support ARC. Has 1 HDMI, has 1 Digital Optical Audio In port.

My question is how do I connect all the above devices together so that when I use my PS3 and when I turn on my Home Theatre simultaniously, the audio output of my game should be heard from my home theatre speakers in 5.1 surround or something instead of my tv speakers.

When I use my Set Top box to watch my cable channels and when I turn on my Home theatre simultaneously the audio output must pass to the Home theatre speakers.

When I watch a DVD on my home theatre system the audio can be heard from the 5.1 speakers. Which is normal and working fine.

The problem is when I turn my PS3 on and only TV is on, I hear the sound from my tv speakers. But when I turn on my Home theatre the audio can't be heard unless I turn off the home theatre system.

Same problem with the set top box. I can hear the audio when only tv and set top box is on but not when I turn on the home theatre.

How can I link up the devices.

My current setup:

I have 1 HDMI cable going from my PS3 to TV.

i have 1 HDMI cable going from my set top box to TV.

i have 1 HDMI cable going from my Home Theatre to TV.

Additional I also got RC Component cables supplied with PS3, I also got 1 digital optical audio cable.

Anybody who can help me with this will be highly appriciable and helpful

Thanks,

Iceheros :slight_smile:

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have had a look at the specs of the BDV-E870 HT System - it does support ARC (Audio Return Channel) - Im curious on what makes you think it doesnt?  Have a look at the back of the BDV-E870 and above the HDMI port it should the word "ARC" on it.  Manual also here states it too

Anyway, if you have the optical cable connected - REMOVE IT.  Same with the RCA cables you mentioned.

Connect it up as follows:

• BDV-E870 (HDMI-ARC) > TV (HDMI-IN ARC)
  • PS3 (HDMI) > TV
  • Set-top box (HDMI) > TV

Ensure that Bravia Sync is enabled on the TV

Ensure that 'Control for HDMI' is set to ON, on the BDV-E870

Set the TV Speakers to "Audio System"

On the PS3 - set the Audio output to 'Bitstream'

This should work :pray:

Cheers