Join now - be part of our community!

How is the Freesat app compatible with the A80J ?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
M1ck-65

How is the Freesat app compatible with the A80J ?

In the program guide, there is the Freesat logo. But this is no way the Freesat layout. There is no Freesat ID any where in the settings and no where to log in. So you assume that you need the app installed.....

According to the Sony help pages The Freesat app is supposed to be compatible with the A80J.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00183238

But...... You cannot install the app on the TV( says it's not available for this TV) or if I install the app on my phone to use it as  remote programing etc... it cannot find the TV

So what way is it compatible?

Edit: added more information

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
M1ck-65

Been in touch with Freesat themselves.

Who confirmed that the Sony A80J cannot be used with the Freesat app in any way.

The information that Sony provide on their own help pages is, as you say clearly wrong and very misleading.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
E61DRC

The A80J has a Freesat tuner. The link you gave says that the TV supports Freesat (via the tuner) not the Freesat app. What do you think you are going to do with the Freesat app on the TV?

profile.country.GB.title
M1ck-65

Please read the link again...

Sony TVs that are compatible with Freesat app     

2021 Sony’s Google TVs:         X80J, X81J, X82J, X85J, X89J, X90J, X92J, X93J, X94J, X95J, A80J, A83J, A84J, A90J, Z9J Series

profile.country.GB.title
E61DRC

That is what it says, but it is clearly wrong. Probably, due to some people thinking that everything is an app! As I said, what do you think you can do with this app on the TV.

profile.country.GB.title
M1ck-65

Freesat is more than just free to view satellite channels. Freesat is a company and a trade mark

The Freesat app I have on my phone is identical layout and operation to that of the Freesat Humax box. But can do things remotely... obviously.

The TV advertises itself as Freesat by the logo it displays. I was hoping to setup the  TV to operate in the same way as the old Humax box easing the transition for the person using it.

As above Sony's own help pages state that the TV is compatible with the Freesat app.

Even if you cannot install it directly, why cannot it be used on a remote device. To access and control the program guide.

profile.country.GB.title
M1ck-65

Been in touch with Freesat themselves.

Who confirmed that the Sony A80J cannot be used with the Freesat app in any way.

The information that Sony provide on their own help pages is, as you say clearly wrong and very misleading.