Join now - be part of our community!

KDL 55X850C - what will I lose if I install EU firmware?

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

KDL 55X850C - what will I lose if I install EU firmware?

After hearing Sony won't bother releasing a UK variation until March ( !!! ) to fix 3D issue. I am considering using the EU firmware. 

1. Can this be done by simply downloading the irish firmware?
  2. Do I still get to use BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Amazon and 5 on Demand?
  3. If yes to the above, will they be UK listings / schedules as that is where my IP is based?
  4. Will I be able to upgrade to future UK variations?

Also I do not care about Youview as have every channel with Sky....

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Risc.On

According to Sony's statment today.  Next firmware is end of Feb:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-hn/prd-tvhc/android-tv-features-uk-22-dec

1. I believe so - cannot confirm until someone tries it.
  2. According to others on this forum and AVForums, the only things you loose in the FW, is YouView and its ITVPlayer and All4 catchuo services
  3. Yes, UK epg listings
  4. Into uncharted territory on this one.  But as long as the firmware has a higher number version, i cant see why it would not install.  But officially, cannot confirm

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@Quinnicus wrote:

Hi Risc.On

According to Sony's statment today.  Next firmware is end of Feb:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-hn/prd-tvhc/android-tv-features-uk-22-dec

1. I believe so - cannot confirm until someone tries it.
  2. According to others on this forum and AVForums, the only things you loose in the FW, is YouView and its ITVPlayer and All4 catchuo services
  3. Yes, UK epg listings
  4. Into uncharted territory on this one.  But as long as the firmware has a higher number version, i cant see why it would not install.  But officially, cannot confirm

Cheers

Thanks mate, I am not waiting til February / March for the next UK firmware. This reminds me of Nokia when I had to update to EU firmware in order to get latest fixes / features. I have decided to be the guinea pig and install, hopefully this will be useful for others. I will post back with my results! I am only doing this because it fixes the 3D issue!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just seeing if everything went ok?  Or did you have the luck of the Irish?

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@Quinnicus wrote:

Just seeing if everything went ok?  Or did you have the luck of the Irish?

Yes, all went ok. 3D pop up is now fixed, it runs a bit faster too. However they have broken the auto picture mode, so now it gets stuck in whatever mode it auto switches too! Even if you turn off auto mode, choose standard then turn auto back on it switches back to game mode for example.

All apps are still there and at least 3D is now useable. However now I have to manually choose picture each time I switch inputs which is rather annoying!

Also I did a complete factory reset.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks RiscOn

If fed this new 'bug' back to Sony for them to confirm.

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@Quinnicus wrote:

Thanks RiscOn

If fed this new 'bug' back to Sony for them to confirm.

Thanks for that, it seems two steps forward and two steps backward with Sony. Can you let them know this is running on all Sony setup.

BDP - 5500 Blu ray

Playstation 4

Sony 1050 AV Receiver.

All with latest firmware.

They can't blame my set up thats for sure!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Will do.

Are you still getting the 'blank screen with sound' issue?

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@Quinnicus wrote:

Will do.

I have not had seen this issue thus far but this is a recent clean install. I am still getting issues with "playback_3, playback_2" showing up in the inputs randomly rather than Sky, PS4 etc.

I should also add that the IR Blaster still sends 3 movements to up, down left and right.

smashah

@Risc0n wrote:

@Quinnicus wrote:

Will do.

I have not had seen this issue thus far but this is a recent clean install. I am still getting issues with "playback_3, playback_2" showing up in the inputs randomly rather than Sky, PS4 etc.

I should also add that the IR Blaster still sends 3 movements to up, down left and right.

Noticed a new firmware on Sony Ireland website, it might resolve the issue?

Improves sound quality issues: v3.169

Firmware  28-12-2015

http://www.sony.ie/support/en/product/KD-55X8505C#SoftwareAndDownloads