Join now - be part of our community!

Problems With Sony 55X9005CBU - Video Streaming

wutang200

Problems With Sony 55X9005CBU - Video Streaming

Just purchased the above TV and have had nothing but issues since getting it.

-Video app doesn't allow me to actually stream anything from my Synology server even though it shows that it's detected it - just get the loading icon and in the end get an error saying it cannot play the video (multiple formats tested!)

-VLC player and other media players have been ported really badly and don't play videos properly

-ES File Manager app doesn't allow video playback

-Playing back media from USB disk using Video app also doesn't work

This is probably the most awful system I've ever used! I bought it for mainly 4k and 1080p video streaming and it cannot even stream SD content lol. The whole system seems broken and not very polished.

I'm actually very very close to returning it for a LG TV and giving Web OS a try.

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Try installing KODI (formerly known as XMBC) it could solve most of your video streaming issues.

wutang200

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've tested with Kodi and playback seems to bee a little better but HD video doesn't look very HD using this app to connect to my Plex server. The picture seems to look lower quality but playback is a little smoother. Also Kodi seems to completely fall over when I try to stream 4k video.

Any way to increase the video quality within Kodi?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Not sure about it, is it possible that it's plex that is downconverting your video? I use Kodi to stream video form a serviio DLNA server and it's FULL-HD, no problem at all..

wutang200

Hmm not sure then. I've made sure my Plex server has local and remote video quality set to 'Original'.

Only other gripe is the fact that the interface isn't as nice as the native Plex app but I can live with that.

I need something that will properly stream both HD and UHD.

wutang200

Have any of you managed to get Kodi to playback movies smoother?

They're way too juddery at the moment regardless of what the motion setting is set to!