Join now - be part of our community!

Recording TV to HDD on Sony KD 43XH8505

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
TONYF22
Explorer

Recording TV to HDD on Sony KD 43XH8505

Hi. My BT Box has packed in so I need to start recording TV programs to a Hard Disk Drive. At least I think that’s the answer to my problem! There seems to be a bit of a health warning that says that not all HDD’s are compatible with the TV. Is anyone able to make a recommendation about a HDD that will definitely work? Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Enthusiast

Here is a link to the Sony Support page for your TV,

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/kd-43xh8505/manua...

Have a look in the Help Guide and check if your TV only has one tuner for Freeview, I think it does.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Enthusiast

I'd probably choose an HDD with its own power source in case the TVs USB ports don't provide enough power

for an external drive.

Remember if the TV only has one tuner then you will only be able to record programmes on the channel the TV is tuned to.

If you want to have the flexibility of watching one channel while recording one or two or perhaps even three

other channels/ programmes then you would need to purchase a PVR with two or three tuners, Humax,

Manhattan or Panasonic spring to mind.

profile.country.GB.title
TONYF22
Explorer

Thank you for the helpful reply.

Will my Sony have one tuner? On my inputs I do have two options to watch TV. The one is labelled “You View” and the other is just labelled “TV”. Sorry if this is a really stupid question!

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Enthusiast

Here is a link to the Sony Support page for your TV,

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/kd-43xh8505/manua...

Have a look in the Help Guide and check if your TV only has one tuner for Freeview, I think it does.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@TONYF22 

I’m betting that you can’t watch both at once 😛

But those are just two different presentations you can choose between to watch the output from your single tuner.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
TONYF22
Explorer

Thank you for your help. Due to the limitations of only one tuner in the TV I purchased a Manhattan PVR. Can now record two channels at the same time and still watch another on my Sony Bravia  😊