Join now - be part of our community!

Remote Only works when all HDMI are removed ???

profile.country.GB.title
Gary2412
Explorer

Remote Only works when all HDMI are removed ???

Its been a long few weeks...i need help please!!! ,

I have a Sony Bravia KDL55W805B TV

Firstly my sky remote volume wasnt working,i had new remote and sky engineer out to me and found the sky box and remote are fine.

Sky engineer thinks it could be a Sony update issue thats thrown the volume out on my sky remote.

After reading many posts i bought another Sony remote as it wasnt working at all, the new remote arrived, again this never worked.

i now know both Sony remotes are working fine!!! (infered and batteries are fine)

I found by removing all my HDMI cables and optical cable and unplugging the TV, waiting one minute and plugging back in, the Sony remote then works fine, UNTIL i plug back in any of my cables and the Sony remote stops working again.

So from all being fine a few weeks ago, i have no Sony remote that works with HDMI attched and my Sky remote works but the volume dosent..

Please Help !!!

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @Gary2412 and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

Its probably worth you trying a reset.

Power reset details here

Factory reset details here

Keep us posted

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Gary2412
Explorer

Hi sorry i had put down the wrong model it' KDL55W829B will this make a differece for a factory reset ? 

I have more information too now, with all leads out my tv my remote will work but only for a short period then it stops working....Any ideas please 

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

You mention it works only for a short period. Can you verify if the physical buttons VOL/PROG on the TV do work well at that point?

Could you also verify if there is any other device at home except the Sky Box that you could connect to the TV and have it working normally with the TV? Please try this only after you have done the two resets as instructed by the links in the previous post by Jumpy. 

profile.country.GB.title
Gary2412
Explorer

Hi yes the actual TV buttons work fine, thats how I control the volume, pain I know...I do have a sound bar connected to the TV that works fine with the remote. I do use this occasionally without issue.

I have been on to Sony support who again talked me through a factory reset but then couldn' was it any further ...frustrating 

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Your responses are not completely clear for me. In very simple terms, I'd like you to go through the following:

1. Turn off your TV.
  2. Disconnect ALL cables from the back except the power cord which I want you to connect DIRECTLY to a mains power outlet.
  3. Disconnect all other devices from the mains which are in the close neighborhood of the TV. Including wireless devices such as routers and even any LED lamps you might have. Everything!
  4. Switch on the TV, then go to Settings > Apps > Factory Data Reset > OK > OK
  5. Complete the initial setup of the TV. You can skip most of it, since you don't have any source/aerial/network connected to it anyways.
  6. Confirm that your remote and TV work fine together. Try all buttons on the remote. If everything works fine without falling out after sometime, then your TV is not defective. Otherwise skip to step 8.
  7. Start connecting ONE-BY-ONE your devices to the mains and to the TV, while after each new connection verifying that the TV and Remote keep working. If you keep going on, you will eventually find the culprit.
  8. If the TV stops responding to the remote at step 6. Then replace the physical location of the TV to a different room in the house and confirm that your remote and TV work fine together. In very rare situations there could be a strong source of interferrence at the current location of the TV which is causing your problem. So the replacement of the TV helps rule that out.
  9. If the TV stops responding to the remote at step 8. Call SONY Customer Support, explain clearly the steps (mentioned here) you have undertaken to isolate the problem and ask them to arrange a repair service under warranty for you.
profile.country.GB.title
Gary2412
Explorer

Thanks for the advice but still no joy. I have to arrange for an engineer to come out, hopefully it can be repaired