Join now - be part of our community!

Sony A1 OLED Firmware for DolbyVision

SOLVED
profile.country.QA.title
tahashi
Explorer

Sony A1 OLED Firmware for DolbyVision

Dear Sony,

When are you releasing the new DolbyVision Firmware for the A1 OLED TVs??? As I see, it is already released in the USA, so when on Earth are you going to release it for EUROPE and the rest of the world??? We are almost Mid March 2018 now and no word from you!!! Even the 30th of January 2018 announcement has not been updated with a date or time of when this is going to be release. If it is released in the USA, then why is it being delayed for the rest of the world?? What I feel now is that I'm begining to regret this expensive purchase and I wish that I had made the right descision and went with the LG OLED units which already have DolbyVision built in from day one. Come on....

25 REPLIES 25
profile.country.SE.title
joeldeluxe

NO! That's for US... It's not going to work in EU

profile.country.GB.title
Itom86

As thet firmware is available for all atv2 devices in the US, hopefully it is coming to Europe soon.

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

Yet another update for the US while we still have not even had the google voice update!

profile.country.QA.title
tahashi
Explorer

Exactly. That's what I said. Sony is totally biased towards the US market yet they claim they are not.

profile.country.QA.title
tahashi
Explorer

This is Sony's Support latest reply to my e-mail. A lot of BS!!!

=======================================================

Dear Mr Hachicho

Thank you for your recent email.

We are afraid that we do not have the exact date in question, and it is far from true that Sony is only caring for customers in the US and Japan, as you are as valued as the customers that you are referring to.

Please accept our sincere apologies and you can trust we intended no hassle to be caused to yourself.

Furthermore, kindly reply with the 7 digit serial number of your device for registration purposes.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email.

Yours sincerely,

Aya

SONY SUPPORT TEAM
http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en

profile.country.GB.title
pmrozek
Explorer

Post from Haimsh:

"Hi everyone,

I talked with Sony agent in israel and he told me that  this long awaited DV  update will be relased in EU and israel around may 2018.

Did anyone else hear about it ?

I own ZD9 which I bought due to te promise DV  will be available in this TV  set"

profile.country.GB.title
newbix

@pmrozekwrote:

Post from Haimsh:

"Hi everyone,

I talked with Sony agent in israel and he told me that  this long awaited DV  update will be relased in EU and israel around may 2018.

Did anyone else hear about it ?

I own ZD9 which I bought due to te promise DV  will be available in this TV  set"

I think it will be the same time that sony do the DV update for the X700 player.

profile.country.GB.title
pmrozek
Explorer

Sony Europe update - > https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/downloads/00015010

Firmware update to v6.2858

Applicable Models

This information is for the following models:

• KD-77A1
  • KD-65A1
  • KD-55A1
  • KD-75XE9405
  • KD-65XE9305
  • KD-55XE9305
  • KD-75XE9005
  • KD-65XE9005
  • KD-55XE9005
  • KD-49XE9005
  • KD-75XE8596
  • KD-65XE8599
  • KD-65XE8596
  • KD-65XE8588
  • KD-65XE8577
  • KD-65XE8505
  • KD-55XE8599
  • KD-55XE8596
  • KD-55XE8588
  • KD-55XE8577
  • KD-55XE8505
  • KD-55XE8396
  • KD-55XE8096
  • KD-49XE8396
  • KD-49XE8099
  • KD-49XE8096
  • KD-49XE8088
  • KD-49XE8077
  • KD-49XE8005
  • KD-49XE8004
  • KD-43XE8396
  • KD-43XE8099
  • KD-43XE8096
  • KD-43XE8077
  • KD-43XE8005
  • KD-43XE8004
  • KD-100ZD9
  • KD-75ZD9
  • KD-65ZD9
  • KD-49XD8305
  • KD-43XD8305
  • KD-55XD8005
  • KD-49XD8005
  • KD-43XD8005
  • KD-49XD8077
  • KD-43XD8077
  • KD-49XD8088
  • KD-43XD8088
  • KD-49XD8099
  • KD-43XD8099
  • KD-65XD7504
  • KD-65XD7505
  • KD-55XD7004
  • KD-49XD7004
  • KD-55XD7005
  • KD-49XD7005
  • KD-50SD8005
About this download
Benefits and improvements from the latest update
  • Dolby Vision content is supported for video streaming apps/services installed on the TV such as Amazon Prime Video and Netflix. (ZD9, XE94, XE93 and A1 only)*
  • Voice search UI has changed
    You can search content while viewing the screen. Press the [↑] button on the remote control to show all of the search results. Then scroll through the categories using the directional buttons.
    • Before updating
    • After updating
  • Introduces support for BBC iPlayer HLG HDR format (UK only)
  • Resolves an issue where the following message appears: "Samba Services Manager has stopped"
  • Resolves an issue where audio on TV speaker echoes when connected to Bluetooth headphones
  • Resolves Amazon Prime Video playback issue where the video freezes and lip sync error occurs
  • Resolves an issue where home audio amplifier does not switch input automatically to TV input when using "BRAVIA Sync Control" function
  • Resolves an issue where the TV input selector does not switch to HDMI connected player automatically when using the "One-Touch Play" feature
  • Resolves an issue where videos from NPO’s HbbTV app cannot be played (The Netherlands only)
  • Resolves an issue where sound continues to be heard from the Sound Bar after turning off the TV via the remote control

* Selected Sony TVs (ZD9, XE94, XE93 and A1 Series) will support Dolby Vision with the software update to be rolled out in Europe within April, 2018. To enjoy Dolby Vision content, the video streaming app/service must support Dolby Vision. For more information, please contact the app/service provider. In addition, after the Sony TV receives the software update, devices with Dolby Vision playback (such streaming media players and UHD Blu-ray players) that are connected to the Sony TV by HDMI will also require a software update to support Dolby Vision playback through the device. For more information on the timing of an update to a particular player, please contact the player’s manufacturer.

profile.country.QA.title
tahashi
Explorer

FINALLY!!!!!!!!

I got this today. I've downloaded the Firmware and updated my KD-65A1 TV and it works... Dolby Vision is now available on the TV. My 4K Apple TV immediately recognized the availability of Dolby Vision and asked me if I wanted to switch to it on the Apple TV, which of course I accepted, and then it works... The colors are fricking amazing it just blew my mind. Mind you that Apple TV IOS 11.3 is still in Beta and has some bugs.

Now, just a word of caution, I ran into issues manually updating my TV. First of all, the online update does not work and it kept telling me that my TV firmware is up to date. So, I downloaded the Firmware, unzipped it and copied it to a USB stick. I followed instruction for manual Firmware update. The update started, and 25%, it just restarted my TV twice and did not give me any message. I checked the firmware verion (by the way, this is from the Help menu at the bottom of the content page not in the Settings), and it still showed me the old version. So, I did the whole process again after re-formatting the USB stick and re-copying the firmware to it. And still it did exactly the same without giving me any kind of message whether the update was successful or not, and still shows the old firmware.

I then decided to change the USB stick to another one. I repeated the process, and this time it completed the update and it told me that the update was successful. So I guess, the TV is really sensetive to the USB storage you use. Make sure that the USB storage you use does not have any errors, and if the update does not work, try another USB stick or hard disk, etc.

Good luck to all of you who were waiting for this update for so long, it is finally there. And Thank you SONY for bringing this out even before April.

So to conclude. This Firmware v6.2858 brings Dolby Vision to the indicated Sony TVs in the list of the Firmware announcement. It works not only for the content of the video streaming apps/services installed on the TV such as Amazon Prime Video and Netflix, but also to any device that is connected to the HDMI of the TV that supports Dolby Vision like the Apple TV 4K, etc. I noticed some minor issues though when playing Dolby Vision content on the Apple TV 4K which are not present when you play content of the video streaming apps/services installed on the TV, however it could be the Apple TV 4K issue as it is running IOS 11.3 Beta software which could have some bugs that are not fixed yet.

Thanks...

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Dolby Vision on the American Bravia has been working with the Apple TV 4K since tvOS 11.3 beta. So it isn't really surprising it works with the Apple TV 4K (wth tvOS 11.3 beta) in Europe as well. The question is if the Bravia's Dolby Vision profile changed and now supports  all Dolby Vision HDMI devices (including the Apple TV 4K with tvOS 11.2.5). I've looked around a bit, but I could find only the old articles.

Anyway, updating now. My TV doesn't have Dolby Vision but let's hope they ironed out few more bugs...