Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia won't turn off

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
CatherineAnne
Explorer

Sony Bravia won't turn off

My new (roughly 2 months old) Sony Bravia won't turn off - either with the remote control or by pressing the power button on the back of the TV for several seconds. 

The remote control is working to change channels etc, so I assume the batteries don't need changing.

Is it safe to unplug the TV as there seems no other way of turning it off?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi there @CatherineAnne,

yes, you can safely unplug it.

I assume the "ShutDown" command is frozen/stuck on the software side.

After unplugging it, leave it disconnected for a few minutes before plugging it back in and report back, if the issue arises again.

- Nic

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi there @CatherineAnne,

yes, you can safely unplug it.

I assume the "ShutDown" command is frozen/stuck on the software side.

After unplugging it, leave it disconnected for a few minutes before plugging it back in and report back, if the issue arises again.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
CatherineAnne
Explorer

Thanks for your help Nic - that did the trick!

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @CatherineAnne,

you're very welcome.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Todd543
Explorer

Hi my sony bravia tv won't turn on it's sruck in a loop,how do I restart it?, tried unplugging it no joy,tried holding button for six seconds to restart..still nothing two weeks with no tv I'm getting desperately stressed out!.

I can’t turn off the TV or change channels with the remote controls

profile.country.GB.title
jandol
Explorer

Same happens with our 1 day old Bravia. I switch off with the remote or the power off button but tv comes on again in about 5 minutes.How can I unfreeze the Shut Down in the software or do I have to unplug everytime i shut down? Is it a fault with the TV?

After doing a factory reset and unplugged a bunch of time I noticed the green light flashing on my Roku.  Found Roku remote trapped in recliner pushing the buttons.  Took it out and Viola...  What a relief.  Couldn't see the forest for the trees.

profile.country.GB.title
Tjell07
Explorer

I also have the problem of the TV not staying off when switched off either with the remote or the buttons on the TV. The suggested solution doesn't work either. 

profile.country.GB.title
Johnbgarner44
New