Join now - be part of our community!

Sound issues through optical

profile.country.GB.title
Malc29
New

Sound issues through optical

I have a KD-65AF8 which has a port for an optic cable..but my TEAC system and Bose Acustamass 5 speakers will not work..as the amp only has Phono leads...is there a adaptor that has Phono to optic cable...if so what and where can l purchase a good one from please? r

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

Phono or RCA? It's not the same. In case that it's regular RCA audio input than maybe you don't need anything else. I don't have AF8 but on all other recent SONY TVs you can use use headphones out as regular audio out if you set it up as such in settings. In that case you just need 3.5mm to RCA cable.

profile.country.GB.title
Malc29
New

It's definitely Phono to optical..l have tried the headphone socket, and it still doesn't cure the problem.......

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

I have always thought that RCA and phono are exactly the same thing, and still do, unless you can explain a difference here, @kinggo01

However, you want Optical to RCA/phono, @Malc29, not the other way round, as the sound is coming from the optical, to go to the amp.

From the above, it sounded a bit like you perhaps had this backwards?

As per the suggestion to use the headphone out though, a 3.5mm jack to twin RCA/phono cable, connected to the audio In of the amp, ought to work, at least for proof of concept.

Is this what you have tried, and it doesn’t work, or what?

You know you have to configure it?

To listen to the TV's sound through the connected equipment, press HOME.

Select [Settings]  [Sound]  [Headphone/Audio out] and then select the desired item.

As to an Optical to RCA converter, look at this link to Amazon UK. Either the eSYNIC or the PROZOR will do what you want; the PROZOR has a headphone output the eSYNIC doesn’t have, but the eSYNIC comes with a mains adaptor, which you may or may not prefer to the USB power arrangement of the PROZOR. 

Avoid the Portta shown; Portta is a good make, but that device is analogue to digital, the other way round from what you want.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
Malc29
New

received_10155922701207672.jpeg

There you go..the adapter box in using .....

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Bloody hell, I didn’t know Amazon were that quick :laughing:

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

@royabrown wrote:

I have always thought that RCA and phono are exactly the same thing, and still do, unless you can explain a difference here, @kinggo01

well, if you mean phisically as jacks, then yes.

But I was thinking about inputs for different signals on the same type of jack. Phono signal is balanced while RCA (audio in) is line level with -10dB signal I think.  And that is much higher than phono signal which usually has some kind of pre-amp.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@kinggo01 wrote:

@royabrown wrote:

Well, if you mean physically as jacks, then yes.

But I was thinking about inputs for different signals on the same type of jack. Phono signal is balanced while RCA (audio in) is line level with -10dB signal I think.  And that is much higher than phono signal which usually has some kind of pre-amp.

Ah yes, I see what you mean here. A phono in, on an amp that is expecting a cartridge output there, will not enjoy a line level input, nor would the RIAA equalisation be appropriate :upside_down: