Join now - be part of our community!

VCR to Sony Bravia

profile.country.GB.title
morrig47

VCR to Sony Bravia

I am trying to connect two old VCRs to my Sony Bravias

• Sony 2023 Bravia KD43X75LW
  • Sony KD55AG9

I have tried the fairly traditional route by using a number of leads which are all the same namely:

RCA Output from the VCR consisting of three colour-coded jacks: red (right audio), white (left audio), and yellow (video) connecting to a Composite Video Input (i.e. mini jack on the TV)

When I switch on the VCR and TV and select AV I am informed there is no external input and to check both sides of the connection. I have tried all of my leads and both VCRs, but the result is the same, no signal gets through to the TV.  I have also tried a Scart to RCA adapter, but again no success. No signal gets through to the TV

I am really not sure what else to do. I refuse to believe all the leads are faulty! One possibility I am exploring is a RCA to HDMI Converter. Before I commit to a purchase is this the right route or is there anything else I can try from the RCA to Minijack option?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

What type of analogue extension cable do I need to connect to my Android TV or Google TV?
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00119809
profile.country.GB.title
morrig47

Hi Marino, thanks for getting back to me so promptly. The picture of the leads in your reply matches mine exactly. I have 4 of these leads and none work. I have no recollection of getting a specific lead with my TVs. What I can't say is whether these 4 leads are fully compatible with my Sony Bravias. Neither TV works with the leads is all I can say. I have, however, found a lead that is specifically for Sony on Amazon  which I could try, but have you any thoughts on my alternative  - a RCA to HDMI Converter?

Thanks again

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Forgive me but, do you also press Play on the VCR?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@morrig47 

To be compatible, the cables you have need to have four separate sections to the small Jack plug, and the dimensions need to be the same.

But it may be that some or all of these sections are wired to different RCA plugs than the Sony lead.

(Though if one of the RCAs is wired to Section D, it’s game over, and the lead is incompatible, as the TV will ground this signal).

if you can get a continuity tester, you can find out which part of the jack each RCA plug is wired to, and providing none of the RCAs is wired to D, you can relabel the RCA plugs accordingly, and use the cable.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
morrig47

Yes I did

profile.country.GB.title
morrig47

On double checking I have 3 of the small jack plugs. They both have 4 separate sections, but one of the jacks is longer that the other two. Looking at the images for the Sony compatible jack plug the shorter ones look as if they are the correct ones. Very, very ocassionally there is some contact, but the image is very distorted. I do not have a continuity tester (and it may be beyond my knowledge to use it if I am honest) so I think I have two options - buy another Sony compatible jack plug or buy the RCA to HDMI Converter. Your advice on that would be appreciated. I could, of course, refer this issue to Sony and see if they would provide me with a Sony compatible lead - worth a go maybe!

Thanks for all your help - very much appreciated.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@morrig47 

Either will likely work, and this HDMI converter on Amazon:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Converter-Composite-Charge-Blue-Ray/dp/B09B6PBHGQ/ref=sr_1_5?keywor...

is cheaper than even the Sony cable clone:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Video-Component-Adapter-Cable-Replacement/dp/B08B84KCR2/ref=sr_1_3?crid=P9I...

there.

Other people are selling what looks like the same HDMI converter for more money…

With HDMI, you will be giving up a slot; with the cable, you  won’t.

The HDMI solution needs USB power; the cable doesn’t.

These things are considerations that may or may not matter to you….

I don’t think Sony will send you a free cable; there’s probably a genuine Sony one for more money than that clone, though I’ve only found one such in the USA  so far, not the UK.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
morrig47

Thank you so much. That is very helpful. I really appreciate all your help on this.