Join now - be part of our community!

Will Sony support 4K iPlayer and HLG?

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

Will Sony support 4K iPlayer and HLG?

Any ideas @Anonymous? Prompted by announcment from BBC here. Currently only Panasonic can view 4K clips of Planet Earth II.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38242187

33 REPLIES 33
profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

The problem with bringing the XE70 which uses a Linux based operating system just confuses matters. At the moment no Sony Android TV is confirmed to be working with 4K or HLG technology from the BBC.

Sony claim it's fixed in the latest FW but BBC sources quoted in my tweet above are suggesting it's not a done deal. We should all be used to waiting with Sony TVs these days. 🙂

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

@stormyukwrote:

The problem with bringing the XE70 which uses a Linux based operating system just confuses matters. At the moment no Sony Android TV is confirmed to be working with 4K or HLG technology from the BBC.

Sony claim it's fixed in the latest FW but BBC sources quoted in my tweet above are suggesting it's not a done deal. We should all be used to waiting with Sony TVs these days. 🙂

I don't understand the comment. You are expecting a solution (4K HLG) by SONY for what purpose? There is no 4K content offered by the BBC, let alone 4K HDR content. This information is being published by the BBC itself. Having a trial now and then is a preliminary step for the future. The fact is that the infrastructure and cost related to such capability is beyond rational demand at the moment. And the BBC is not alone, it is also the same problem Google is facing with their YouTube platform. The product just doesn't fit their business model.

I understand your eagerness to have access to 4K HDR content, however the type of access to 4K content that fits into the BBC business model is practically not feasible with the current conditions. As a consumer with demand for 4K HDR content, your only option is to pay a premium for access to 4K HDR content. My suggestion is to look for larger commercial providers such as Netflix and Prime as long as they last. Since even they are facing serious cash loss with their more liberal commercial business model. It is very likely they will either have to raise the premium for their customers or include other parties as customers too i.e. advertisers.

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

@stormyukwrote:

I don't understand the comment. You are expecting a solution (4K HLG) by SONY for what purpose? There is no 4K content offered by the BBC, let alone 4K HDR content. This information [https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/how-to-guides/uhd-connected-tv] is being published by the BBC itself. Having a trial now and then is a preliminary step for the future. The fact is that the infrastructure and cost related to such capability is beyond rational demand at the moment. And the BBC is not alone, it is also the same problem Google is facing with their YouTube platform. The product just doesn't fit their business model.

I understand your eagerness to have access to 4K HDR content, however the type of access to 4K content that fits into the BBC business model is practically not feasible with the current conditions. As a consumer with demand for 4K HDR content, your only option is to pay a premium for access to 4K HDR content. My suggestion is to look for larger commercial providers such as Netflix and Prime as long as they last. Since even they are facing serious cash loss [http://www.businessinsider.com/netflix-cash-burn-will-continue-2017-4] with their more liberal commercial business model. It is very likely they will either have to raise the premium for their customers or include other parties as customers too i.e. advertisers.

profile.country.GB.title
avincett
Explorer

The BBC has been testing 4K HLG and recently provided live content

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43879649

It is expected more live events will follow.