YouView

profile.country.GB.title
Mazzman
Explorer

YouView

Spoiler
Hi all,

I have a 2017 Sony Bravia KD-43XE8396.

I've been fortunate enough to be able to sort out my poor signal by having a qualified aerial rigger install a new digital aerial in my loft, so thanks to this community page, I can now watch TV properly, possibly for the first time in 6 years!

However, I have a new problem! Not quite so important, just very annoying. I'm not much of an ITV person, but I do like Doc Martin, and it's on it's last series. I missed one episode, so I went to use the ITV hub to watch again. I'm guessing that most know that when you install the ITV hub, it automatically installs 'YouView', which is rubbish.....I'm quite used to Freeview now, even if the channel order is a bit weird, I can live with that. Directly you install YouView, one is unable to record TV programmes to a connected USB drive, which is totally ridiculous. It was never a problem with Freeview.

Has anybody else come across this and is there anything that one can do about it? I would imagine that there isn't an easy answer.

Thanks for reading anyway :))

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Mazzman 

To switch in and out of  YouView on a 2017 set:-

1. Press the [Home] button on the remote control
  2. Go to 'Settings'
  3. Go to 'Channel Setup'
  4. Go to 'YouView Setup'
  5. Select 'Disable YouView'
  6. Select 'Yes' to confirm

You are then back in the Freeview menu, and can record again.

But of course you have lost itv Hub again, for which there are three remedies:-

1. Choose the itv Hub, and be put back into YouView;

2. Repeat the above process, but this time make step 5 ‘Enable YouView’ (and you can safely skip the proffered retune);

3. Sideload the Hoshsadiq workaround:-

https://github.com/hoshsadiq/bravia-youview-player-launchers

Despite being archived because Hoshsadiq couldn’t keep up with the later changes from 2020 on (which arguably didn’t need his workaround anyway) the ‘frozen’ code there works perfectly well for sets from before that year, like your 2017 one, and gives you access to the apps that normally require YouView, without you having to load YouView at all.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Mazzman
Explorer

Crikey, there IS a solution!! 
To the rescue again! 
I'll report back soon.

Cheers 😊

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey Mazzman, were you able to do as royabrown2 said? Don't leave us waiting, :grin: I got overexcited reading this thread. :grin: 

profile.country.GB.title
Mazzman
Explorer

Hi Hannah,

No, not as yet. I understood what I needed to do and went to the website with the 'frozen code' that should still work. However, I meant to  have got back to royabrown2 as I wasn't sure how one 'sideloads' code into the Bravia. I tried putting said code on my USB stick which I record from the Bravia on (so it is registered and the Bravia sees it) and inserted it into the Bravia USB port, but it doesn't see the code. I really must ask royabrown what I need to do. I'm not far off 70, and sometimes I feel so stupid! :open_mouth:

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Mazzman

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/faq-how-to-sideload-apps-on-android-tvs/td-p/2347365

Youngster, I’m 76! (But still 35 inside)

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Mazzman
Explorer

Bloody hell, 76? Feeling more stupid than ever :grin:

Many thanks, and I shall get back on here soon to tell all how things went.

Enjoy the bedtime reading :slight_smile: