Join now - be part of our community!

Can we have a firmware update to enable 60 fps and NTSC shooting modes on UK version of HDR-CX450?

xenobia144
Explorer

Can we have a firmware update to enable 60 fps and NTSC shooting modes on UK version of HDR-CX450?

On the camcorder's specification page on www.sony.co.uk it is listed as being able to shoot in 60 frames per second mode in 1080p.  However, I purchased mine today, got it home, and it turns out it only shoots in PAL formats, with the framerate limited to 50 frames per second, when the page at the present time clearly states that it can shoot in 60 frames per second NTSC modes.

(I ought to add that PAL and NTSC are moot when shooting at 1080p resolution, since the only difference is the frame rate).

I have not a clue why Sony are purposefully setting their UK sold camcorders in this manner, since those who are using their camcorders to film video to be edited on their PC find it far more advantageous to work with 60 fps footage (since it is possible to transfer recorded video from 60 fps to 50 fps if needed without losing image quality, yet it is not possible to transfer video from 50 fps to 60 fps without image degration).  The issue of PAL versus NTSC is moot when shooting in 1080p rather than standard definition, and the vast VAST majority of HDMI-capable televisions sold in the UK support 1080p at 60 fps, and have done for the vast majoity of the past decade.  Also, the cameras are the same equivalent price as each other, so even when price is adjusted for the exchange rate they cannot say US users are paying more for being able to shoot in 60 fps modes.

As we all know, there is no difference hardware-wise between the US and UK version of the HDR-CX450 camcorder (the US version has the designation HDR-CX455), the hardware inside the two different versions of the cameras are exactly the same.  As such, since it is clearly the firmware which is disabling the ability to output at 60 frames per second, can we please have a firmware update which allows the user to select 60 frames per second recording modes, and if not then why not?

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
kxykxykxy
New

Hey SONY? 

I agree with the above - there should be an update to enable 60FPS recording. Especially, that it is not clear before you buy camera. I looked at specs and everywhere I have seen both 50 & 60 FPS supported. Only after the purchase I realised that it will be only 50FPS for european model..

If the hardware is the same (which I think it is) please release update to enable switching between PAL & NTSC

If it is not possible due to hardware differences, a reply would be brilliant...

profile.country.GB.title
telelaci
Explorer

Hi Xeno,

Mostly I agree with you, and I have exactly the same problem, though with an other camera: FDR-AX53

I think that the quality of 50p and 60p is nearly the same if the video stream is the same 100Mbit or 60 Mbit or whatever Mbit but the same. Because in that case the NTSC frames sligthly more compressed than PAL frames.

But 60p/30p is simply much more supported by different devices and softwares, Some of my gadgets simply don't work with 25p or 50p.

You said that both US and UK camera had the same HW. But I'm not so sure about that. I tried to download US firmware in sony-us site, and its binary identical to the European firmware.

If the HW is the same and firmware is the same then what makes the difference? 

Have you tried to download a US firmware from sony-us site ? Just to compare. Is it the same as your UK firmware?

profile.country.GB.title
danzai
Explorer

I believe the hardware is the same, because it is possible to switch the camera between PAL and NTSC:
See the following link:- https://community.sony.com/t5/Camcorders/FDR-AX53-Option-to-Switch-from-PAL-to-NTSC/td-p/637897

I plan to do this soon, as it does make a difference - especially shooting in fast mode (slow-mo).

NTSC is capable of 120FPS with the AX53, whereas the PAL version can only do 100FPS.

It would be best if Sony could just update the firmware so that the user can easily switch between PAL and NTSC without adding mods to the system.