Join now - be part of our community!

HandyCam takes still pictures while recording in movie mode

HandyCam takes still pictures while recording in movie mode

Hi - I have just bought a HandyCam camcorder model no. HDR-CX220E. Although I am pretty sure I am shooting in movie mode (with celluloid film strip icon showing in the view finder) every now and again while filming the word 'CAPTURE' appears in the view finder with a red time 'progress' strip appearing for a few seconds. This happens multiple times (as though I am repeatedly pressing the PHOTO button which I definitely am not) So when I have finished recording I am left with a single video file plus several (unwanted) still photo .jpg files Does anyone know why this might be happening? Is it a menu setting I need to look at somewhere or is it some kind of connection issue with the PHOTO button on top of the camera? Help please! 

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
chrislovesangie
Explorer

Hi, not sure about your model, I have a PJ650, and it has a "smile shutter" 

You can turn the smile shutter on or off, it sounds to me this may be what is occuring with your camera ?

profile.country.GB.title
Sheila363
New

I have this  problem too. I have been unable to find out why this happens. If you discover the reason can you please let me know and similarly I will do the same. It is also not consistent, sometimes I can have many still and other times I have none. I know am not pressing the still image button or at least not aware of doing so. Very strange !! 

bobbabbs
New

My Handycam just started doing the same thing.  In fact is sometimes stopped recording video and just started taking random still images.  Am looking into this as I lost several important videos I was making.

bobbabbs
New

Problem does seem to be with the Smile Shutter.  There is a setting that selects "Dual Capture" and snaps a picture when the subject in the video is smiling.  To disable this go to "Camera/Mic" settings, then "Smile Shutter" and turn off Dual Cature.  Set it to "Off".  I'll see if this cures my problem.  Never knew this setting existed before.