Join now - be part of our community!

BDP-S490 Star Trek Into Darkness 3D problems

SOLVED
Splatterjay
Explorer

BDP-S490 Star Trek Into Darkness 3D problems

The new Star trek Into darkness 3D blu-ray won't play correctly on my Sony blu-ray BDP-S490. On insertion it ask for a firmware update and apon re-insertion it plays but the sound keeps cutting out every few minutes. I checked but i am up to date on my network updates, I guess Sony has been caught on the hop by this one. I guess quite a few people will need this update shortly. Or is there some other sound setting I could use as a work round? Help 😞

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Splatterjay
Explorer

Star date: 3/10/2013. Sony just came up with a software update which includes 'Cinavia™ content protection technology' so that was the problem. 

It would have been good if Sony could have acknowledged that 'Cinavia content protection' might be a problem all along and produced a software update more quickly.

I bought the disc (Star trek ITD) again and it works ok with no sound drop out or warnings about firmware update. But it's not very good that a major company like Sony weren't ahead of the game and ready with a software update when the film came out

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Splatterjay
Explorer

ah... that message about the firmware date sent me down the wrong direction. After an email from sony support I have now tried and reset and it seems to be ok so far. Sound problem all gone. Slightly embarrassed, but pleased it is working ok now.

Splatterjay
Explorer

After reset there are still some occasional sound drop-outs on Star Trek Into Darkness.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Is it only this blu-ray disc that is causing the audio drop outs?  Or are their others?

Cheers

Splatterjay
Explorer

Just Star Trek into darkness causes problems. 4 or 5 others ok. Just noticed player was set to 42" display tries again on 32" of actual Lg 3dtv. Drop outs less frequently since reset.
Splatterjay
Explorer

further to the above, I took my disc and my BDP-S490 and the disc into Richer Sounds where I bought it.  They connected it to a 3d TV and all I got was the start-up screen saying 'a firmware update is needed'. We couldn't get past that. They even tried another machine the same an S490 and got the same notice. There was no internet connection there. They tried it in a Panasonic blu ray player and it worked ok after a long delay.

So I suggest Sony get working on a firmware update or they will have thousands of unhappy customers.

When I got it home again and connected it to the internet,  I could play the disc but the sound dropouts were still there every few minutes.

I need a  solution, and a date for a firmware update please.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Have you tried downloading the firmware from the Sony website : Here

"Firmware updates for Blu-ray Disc player - version M12.R.0491

Firmware update , 23/05/2013"

If that still fails, you may need to contact Sony Support : Here

Cheers.

melanie789
Explorer

I'm having problems with Star Trek Into Darkness too. I've tried it on my Sony S490 and my Samsung BD-C5900 and it either refuses to load, partially loads and gets to the Paramount logo screen, or gets as far as the movie and then stops, starts & freezes up . So two different players and I've tried three different copies of the 3D Bluray. There is serious security encryption on this disc that some players are unable to read even running the latest firmware. Frankly, I've just about had enough of these film companies continually doing this type of thing. It leaves you not knowing whether your next purchase is going to play or not. Most people rip and pirate DVD and Bluray, not 3D movies, so why all the security on the 3D version of the film and not on Bluray and DVD?? I'm getting to the point where I'm just not going to bother buying them anymore if this is the way customers get treated, because there is no way the manufacturers of 3d and Bluray players can keep up with all the latest encryption. I might just as well join the millions who download free from the torrent websites and let these stupid studios go to hell. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Melanie789 - I agree.  Reminds me of "No good deed goes unpunished".  Im tired of all this copy-protection crap too, especially when you are the one that have done the right thing and purchased it.  Even the warnings at the start just further annoys people. 

Not related to the problem of playing, but still an interesting read : http://gigaom.com/2013/09/01/the-real-problem-with-star-trek-into-darknesss-bungled-blu-ray-release/

Movie studios (and retailers like HMV, Blockbuster) only have themselves to blame for the pirating problems.  They are too slow to adapt to changing habbits (even though they have all the stats) and want to keep hold of their aging business models.  On the other side, pirating can actually increase profits.  Look at the success of Game of Thrones

melanie789
Explorer

I've just sent an e-mail to Paramount about this (e-mail address is homeentpressroom@paramount.com) asking if they are aware of the issues, and if they've started using new copy protection that some manufacturers don't seem to have the firmware to cope with. When the agreement on the Bluray format was drawn up between the hardware manufacturers and the film industry, strict rules on copy protection were set. These rules were supposed to keep manufacturers up to date with any new encryption being used, precisely to stop this type of thing from happening. Unfortunately, the film industry have decided to break that agreement and in the process left a lot of customers very P off in the process. I'll be interested to see what BS answer I get back from Paramount, but I bet it is a complete denial, with the blame shifted onto the manufacturer's of the Bluray Players. IMHO, the film industry deserves what it gets. You treat your customers badly, and it will come back to bite you in the butt a thousand times over. I've now lost faith in the hit and miss that is Bluray and 3D Bluray. DVD may not offer the quality, but at least it works without these constant stupid firmware updates that often don't solve the issue