Join now - be part of our community!

DVD+R Chapter playback

profile.country.GB.title
ETHERED
Explorer

DVD+R Chapter playback

My new Blue ray BDP-S6700 will only  playback the first chapter of any of my recorded TDK DVD+R recordings.  So since the "death" of my old DVD recorder/player I have lost decades of video memories.  Since the first chapter of any disc will play I have no reason to believe there is a problem with the recording format, other than the way the chapters have been created. Can anyone advise if there is a solution to this?

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi ETHERED, 

Welcome to the Sony Community.

Please take a look here for some troubleshooting assistance which may offer some help.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Sean Mc

profile.country.GB.title
Sonyvores
Contributor

DVD+R use a special way to write on the disc. Because unllike DVD-R, you can keep playing/writing on the disc and don't need to finalize it with the dedicated PLayer/Recorder. The down side of it is that if you haven't finalized the Disc, it is not compatible with all dvd players..

It's probaly what's happenning to you.

Unfortunatly, BDP-S6700 is not fully compatible with DVD+R disc that are not finalized

profile.country.GB.title
ETHERED
Explorer

It has been many years since I recordedmy DVD+R discs, and although I cannot be 100% certain that I finalised the discs I vaguely remember doing so after they had been filled to capacity. I can actually see and play all chapters on my i-Mac through my apple superdrive.

I am not particularly technically competent in these matters but If the discs were not finalised could they still play the first chapter on my Sony S 6700 and all cahapters through my apple superdrive?

profile.country.GB.title
Sonyvores
Contributor

yes, usually when not finalised a player (not fully DVD+R compatible) plays only first "title" (and not chapter) and can't read the next title since it's not finalised

Computer drive can usually play all kind of discs

profile.country.GB.title
ETHERED
Explorer

Been away for the last two weeks so havn't read  "Sonyvores" reply until now.

Have just tried to play a different DVD+R disc that I recorded at the same time as my problematic DVD+R disc.  Surprisingly it did continuously play all chapters one after the other.    

However I cannot select separate chapters so that I can choose a specific chapter to playback !

I can fast forward through all chapters though to get to any desired chapter.  

I really do believe that I did finalise all seven of my DVD+R discs that I copied from VHS compact discs.

I will have plat all seven of my DVD+R discs to see how each play on my Sony 6700

profile.country.GB.title
Sonyvores
Contributor

no worries,

but is it chapters or titles?  it's important to know for your issue, but as I said, th eplayer is not fully compatible with DVD+R ...so playback will be random ^^

We're just trying to figure out why here hehe

profile.country.GB.title
ETHERED
Explorer

I am not sure what the difference is between chapters and titles but when I recorded onto the DVD+R discs the Panasonic DVD recorder defined them as chapters.

Also when I play them on my apple i-Mac via my apple superdrive it to defines them as chapters.

Things a bit up in the air for me at the minute but when I get some time I will try out all my other recorded DVD+R discs and hopefully I will be able to view all chapters if only continuously or by fast forwarding through them.