Join now - be part of our community!

Problems chromecasting bbc iplayer radio to str-dn1060

dcharvey
Explorer

Problems chromecasting bbc iplayer radio to str-dn1060

Hi there,

Not sure if anyone else has observed the same but I've recently had problems sending audio to my str-dn1060 over chromecast specifically with the bbc iplayer radio app for android.  

This used to work just fine, but now gets stuck loading.

The very same app can cast successfully to my Google chromecast audio device, so their app still works (kinda), and I can still cast other content to my AVR using other chromecast audio apps (Google play music, tunein radio etc). So there is some interaction which is breaking things with this specific combination! Any ideas?

I've also been in contact with BBC who haven't been able to offer much help so far...

Thanks in advance,

David

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Unfortunately my answer to your first question is NO, in fact I have no experience of using such a feature.

However, I'm guessing that since your Android phone is involved you must be streaming the iPlayer content over Wi-Fi? (I'm guessing here so please be kind) I do have some experience with this and if you haven't tried already you might want to change your network settings on your DN1060 and enter them manually using Google's Public DNS. 

To manually configure your network settings you will need to know your Network [SSID] and Network Password - These would have been provided by your Internet Service Provider (ISP)

Change the Network settings on your DN1060 to the following :

Primary DNS  -  8.8.8.8

Secondary DNS  - 8.8.4.4

I did this with my STR-DN1040 model which always had problems streaming iTunes AirPlay. This is quite a common issue with Sony receivers and blu-ray players and usually presents itself as a random signal drop, buffering issues or stuttering of AirPlay as was my case. Using Google's DNS settings above cures this instantly.

Presumably if you used the auto wi-fi setup feature yourself your receiver is probably still configured to use the DNS settings assigned by your ISP (Internet Service Provider) This might explain your current connection issues.

Please come back and let me know if it helps :slight_smile:

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
dcharvey
Explorer

Thanks for the suggestion!

To clarify - the android devices I have tried casting from are connected to my home wifi network, they are able to load content locally and cast to other wifi chromecast devices in the house.  My AVR is connected over the wired LAN (same subnet as the wireless devices) and used to work fine, but now does not.  It behaves the same whether it is connected via wired or wireless,and I believe it's network config is valid, as i can cast other content to it from Googe play music and tunein radio.

In fact my router is configured to querythe upstream DNS servers you suggest. I checked my settings and have moved across to locally specifying the Google public DNS servers you suggested direct to the AVR and still the same behaviour. I also disabled IPv6 just in case that was causing issues, but no dice..

The AVR switches screen to the screen showing it's attempting to play the stream, but no content loads.. The plot thickens!

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Thanks for the explanation, I know only too well how these network streaming issues can be hard to solve. With my receiver I've used both wired LAN and wireless connections and have experienced issues with both. Even using Googles public DNS I've had the occasional problems but the last time that happened I solved that by resetting my router.

What you describe in your last paragraph is not uncommon with my issues when streaming iTunes over AirPlay, very occasionally the receiver will show 'AirPlay' on the front display but for some reason doesn't receive the stream from iTunes. I figured that the main reason this happens is that it takes a few seconds for the network to be established after turning on the receiver, you can see how long it takes by watching for the network icon to appear on the front of the receiver. In my case if I start streaming iTunes before that network icon has appeared it won't work until the icon appears and then I will have to restart iTunes.

Perhaps a router reset might help you or at least rule that one out of the equation?

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
dcharvey
Explorer

Thanks for the further suggestions but still no dice so far..

I may be making some progress through another channel though - from being in touch with smeone better connected to cast development than I, so will let you know how it goes!