Join now - be part of our community!

RDR-HXD970 - Hard disk full problem?

RDR-HXD970 - Hard disk full problem?

Hi everyone,

I'm totally new to this so please bear with me.

I have an RDR-HXD970 dvd recorder with a 1TB hard drive. When I delete titles to try to free up some disk space, the unit still reports ‘hard disk full’ (0h00m left)? I can see and view all my titles as normal but just can’t seem to free up any disk space, no matter how many titles I remove or dub to dvd disk?

I have had the latest firmware (version 1.70) installed since its release and have tried the ‘optimize hard disk’ and ‘disconnect from power for an hour’ options but still the problem persists? At one point the unit did display the message ‘repairing hard disk’ but on completion that still did not fix the problem.

I have far too many precious titles to dub to dvd disk so reformatting is not an option for me. I have checked the internet and several individuals report the same problem, but as yet no one appears to have found a solution.

Is anyone aware of this problem and is there any way to fix it?

Many thanks for any assistance.

William260

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
ilgino
Explorer

Hi William. Got exactly the same problem. Did you find a solution finally? Thanks.
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

It doesn't fit to me an original hxd970 with a 1tb hđd. In any case if the normal tools do not work you may try entering the service menu : you'll need a specific remote for this that can be emulated by a programmable one and the service manual that i do not have with me now but i should have posted in this forum some time ago.
ilgino
Explorer

Hi Rooobb!! Many thanks for your suggestion. I've downloaded the service manual but really did not find any suitable operations here that may deal with this issue. While in service mode, HDD options allow to perform many activities, but they're all related to healty check and format needs. My HDD seems to be OK from an HW point of view (no bad noises, playback OK, title list work great, etc.). It should be something related to logical filesystem bad infos or something similar in my opinion. If someone that has already experienced this issue may give some help, it would be great!! Thanks again for your valued support.

Bye, Gianluigi.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Hi Gianluigi (are you italian too? )
there should be the possibility to look at a log of the unit error: can you see anything related to hdd problems?

Hi William, my reply is probably too late to be of use to you but others may find it informative.
I have a few Sony RDR-HXD870 machines and I have had the problem you described. Sorry to say that after trying Optimizing the hard drive many times, forcing the machine to go into HDD Repair mode by long press on the power button whilst recording and then powering on and waiting for HDD Repair to complete followed by further HDD optimize, I still didn't get any space back when I deleted a title. The only solution I found was to constantly delete titles; at a certain point I saw I had free space. I had to delete maybe 100 titles (saved a few to DVD first but most were lost for ever). This has happened to me two or three times on the same and different model numbers (same series just different HDD capacities) and the solution has always been - keep deleting titles. I never worked out the capacity I deleted nor the number of titles, seemed random. Basically wonderful machines though. Why did Sony cease making them? There's nothing on the market anywhere near as flexible and intuitive (and Panasonic equivalents need real time post recording processing on titles before they can be copied to disc - rubbish).
All the best, Steve.

profile.country.GB.title
Mister_Sussex
New

I thought I would share this in the hope that someone would have the solution to these issues I am having with my Sony RDR-HDX1095 DVD Recorder With 500GB Hard Drive:- What I find frustrating is that no and/or incomplete information is given in the user manual that came with my Sony RDR-HXD1095 DVD Recorder to let me know how long the machines repair process (repair program) will take? The message 'HDD Optimisation Needed' also keeps appearing but because my hard disc is filled up with programme titles and fragments of deleted programme titles my Sony machine will not perform the optimisation function and no information is given in the user manual as to how much working space (memory) is required on the hard disc for optimisation to function and so there is no way of knowing how many program titles I have to delete in order to perform hard disc optimisation? Does anyone here have any solutions to these issues as I am most interested to hear them.

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Typically, a figure of around 15 to 20% (free space) would be needed to allow defragmentation. Look at the file size of your titles and try and see where it's all at. I believe the free space needs to be continuous and at least larger than the largest file sizes in order that it can start shuffling things around.