Join now - be part of our community!

Sony HT-G700 Trying to Update Firmware (Old Updates?)

profile.country.GB.title
mrbeansmini
Explorer

Sony HT-G700 Trying to Update Firmware (Old Updates?)

I have the above soundbar, purchased in Oct 2020. Its on firmware 990. Am finally trying to update the firmware. Have downloaded the latest firmware and loaded it to soundbar. It counts to 100% then sayes done. However, when I check the firmware version on the soundbar, it still sayes version 990??

I have reset the system, disabled bluetooth, unplugged and left overnight, etc, all the net recommended fixes but nothing has worked.

I suspect that I need to install some earlier uk updates before it will let me update to the latest version. However, I cannot find these earlier updates anywhere online. Can anyone help with these or is there a fix I havent thought of/found?

Thankyou for any help that can be given.

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

Firmware updates should contain all previous firmware updates in the latest package.

Click on this link, https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/sound-bars-home-theater-systems-sound-bars-surround-speak...

Read all instructions thoroughly, try again

profile.country.GB.title
mrbeansmini
Explorer

Thanks for this Dalvey. I followed this exact procedure (all elements including initialise. The sound bar went thro’ the update process, got to 100% and then said ‘done’ and restarted. Unfortunately the firmware still sayes after that, even after I initialised the system. 
I’ve exhausted all the options online with the latest firmware. The only option I’ve got left is to try and update with the old firmware in stages until I’m up to date. The problem is I don’t have the of firmware updates so if any of you have any old ones in your download folder, I would greatly appreciate these

thanks

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@mrbeansmini 

Have you tried powering it down after the update, leaving it two minutes, and then powering it up again?

By analogy with various Windows updates. No idea if that would work, but might be worth a try.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
mrbeansmini
Explorer

Thanks for this Roy. I tried this but no joy. Will leave it unplugged overnight and see if that does anything.

At the moment I'm thinking that it's like windows. You cannot upgrade to a new edition of windows unless you have done all the previous updates first. Perhaps the latest update assumes the soundbar has been previously updated up to a certain point to allow the latest update to register. My soundbar has not been updated previously so it may be too old a version to trigger the new update.

I'm clutching at straws, so unless Sony can come back to me with a solution, I am desperately trying to get hold of some of the earlier updates to see if these work and then allow me to upgrade to the latest version from this newer update. 

Thanks all.

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

Did you actually re-download the firmware update and follow the instructions from the link I provided.

Or did you just look at it and say I've done all that and not bother.

Have you tried with a different USB, is it correctly formatted as FAT32.

The USB should not have any other files or folders on it.

For me using a mac the file downloads as a Zip file which once downloaded automatically

decompresses to a folder with the update files inside. Drag the two .BIN files onto the USB

Make sure both files FW_SB1.BIN and FW_SB1N.BIN were put on the USB at root level not in any folder.

The link I gave you is to the Sony UK website, perhaps you downloaded the update from the US site or

other and that may be the issue. The firmware version numbers for the US and UK are slightly different.

The firmware update should include any previous updates that were released.

I have had a quick look on the internet and I cannot see any other older firmware updates

available.

Read the full instructions for downloading and installing from the link I previously posted.

profile.country.GB.title
mrbeansmini
Explorer

Hi Dave. Thankyou for your further response. Just to be clear, I am very techno savvy and have also googled and used the instructions that you kindly forwarded in your first response. I have left no stone unturned, used several different memory sticks (formatted to fat 32), re-initialised the system, reset it, you name it. I have exhausted all the options. The update counts to 100% then says done so no problem getting the update on the bar. However, when I check the firmware, it still says 990??

The only other option is to try an earlier firmware release to see if this works. It may then serve as a stepping stone to get to the latest firmware