Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Service Centre since December

TurnitdownUK
Explorer

Sony Service Centre since December

Hi all,

I purchased a Sony STR-DN860 last November which I started using on December the 10th once I was back from University for Christmas. The receiver broke on the 14th in a way which no one could really explain to me, it switched off suddenly, the green light was still lit but it would not turn off and the display didn't show anything.

I took it into an authorised Sony service centre from their recommendation on the 15th of December. It has still not been fixed. I have phoned the service centre over 10 times since who have said on each occasion that they are waiting for a part. Sony themselves send me round in circles going from the customer service line to the service centre line and back and forth. A couple of times they have said they will investigate and get back to me but have failed to do so. I am at a complete loss as to what to do. I would like to make a complaint high up but do not have the faintest idea how to do so.

For a device that Sony value at almost £400 surely this is completely unacceptable.

Any advice as to how I can escalate this would be really appreciated.

Thank you,

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Did you buy your receiver from a retailer or direct from Sony?

If you bought it from a retailer you might have been better off taking it back for a replacement. Have you tried speaking to the retailer and ask if they would be willing to exchange it? If they agree to doing this tell the Sony repair centre you're not prepaired to wait any longer and that your retailer has agreed to do an exchange.

It might work and I would certainly say you're within your rights to request this.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
TurnitdownUK
Explorer

@MK_Slinky wrote:

Did you buy your receiver from a retailer or direct from Sony?

If you bought it from a retailer you might have been better off taking it back for a replacement. Have you tried speaking to the retailer and ask if they would be willing to exchange it? If they agree to doing this tell the Sony repair centre you're not prepaired to wait any longer and that your retailer has agreed to do an exchange.

It might work and I would certainly say you're within your rights to request this.

Thanks for your reply. I actually purchased the unit from Germany therefore taking it back to the retailer was/is a problem so Sony was my first port of call. I will see what the retailers policy is on this.

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

I see, sorry I was going by your user name and just assumed you'd bought it in the UK. 

I can't really offer any other suggestions unfortunately. Your retailer might charge shipping costs to return it to Germany which probably won't be cheap given the weight of this item.

Failing that it's a waiting game with Sony.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
TurnitdownUK
Explorer

Sorry I should've been more clear.

I thought as much, good to get a second opinion though.

Do you think this kind of waiting time is reasonable from Sony? It worries me that nothing is being done about it and it's just sitting in the repair shop.

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

That's okay, you weren't to know.

To be honest I'm probably not the best person to ask about service centres, personally I have no experience of them. As for Sony Support giving you the run-around, yes I've had plenty of experience with that, join the club, that's normal. Sony Support is well known for it's shockingly bad customer service but don't take my word for it, just take a look at all the other complaints about them on these forums.

The best you can hope for is that the part arrives soon but don't expect Sony Support to tell you anything.

Hope it all works out for you anyway, I certainly understand your frustrations right now.

TurnitdownUK
Explorer

Thanks buddy

Thank god a playstation of mine has never died!

I checked with the vendor and they apparently have a 2 year returns policy if it has a fault so I'll give it another week and then send it over to germany.