Join now - be part of our community!

Sony UBP-X700 switch on and sound/picture drop outs

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
pickhaver
Explorer

Sony UBP-X700 switch on and sound/picture drop outs

Hi All,

I recently got the Sony UBP-X700, finally upgrading from a DVD player, and the picture is great...but there are a few operational issues:

1) When switching on, the disc play input icon comes up on my TV (LG OLED B7) and I select it, only to find that there's no connection. It seeems that the player stops transmitting a signal to say it's on. Sometime switching the player off/on again makes it switch on properly, or unplugging the HDMI lead (which is plugged into the ARC port) works.

2) The sound and sometimes picture drop out during playback It tends to lose the picture once per movie, but can drop sound for a split second upto every few minutes of playback. If I rewind and replaying there is no issue (potentially ruling out dirt on the disc!)

It's a clearance unit from Severnoaks, so not sure if it's a fixed return, that's not been fixed properly.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @pickhaver ,

have you tried another HDMI cable?

What you describe sounds like a bandwidth issue with the cable you are currently using.

- Nic

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

Have you tried a factory reset?

Best wishes,

M

profile.country.GB.title
pickhaver
Explorer

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your reply, unfortunately this has made no difference with regards to the connection problem. The player still stops transmitting a signal when it's in the home screen (and during me trying to reset it) and trying to get it back is temeramental. While it's playing a disc the connection seems to be OK (unless it's also contributing the small sound dropouts).

I'm currently looking at a screen that is either blank, snowy, the TV's screensaver picture, or very occasionally the home menu. I think I can select different options on the home screen even when it's not transmitting a signal to the TV.

So far, I'm not impressed with the reliability of this player, and considering sending it back!

Simon

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @pickhaver ,

have you tried another HDMI cable?

What you describe sounds like a bandwidth issue with the cable you are currently using.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
pickhaver
Explorer

Hi Nic,

Not yet, but I will do. Although I can't think why it would be the lead when it's mostly fine transmiting 4K HDR at upto around 65Mbps (watched a film last night and it didn't have any sound/visual dropouts), but it can't handle the home screen!!!

Thanks,

Simon

profile.country.GB.title
pickhaver
Explorer

Hi Nic,

Thanks for the cable tip, I've tried a couple of different quality cables and the best two did seem to provide the best results. It's stil a mystery as to why it's most apprent on the Home screen, but as least it's an easy fix.

Simon