Join now - be part of our community!

Sony UBPX700B, No ATMOS, NO DOLBY VISON

profile.country.SE.title
Steerpike
Explorer

Sony UBPX700B, No ATMOS, NO DOLBY VISON

Hello everyone!
I am new to Home cinema systems and have just purchased a Sony Blu Ray UPB-X700. I've plugged it into the "BD/DVD port" with a Belkin (8K) HDMI to my Sony STR-DH790. I run eARC to my LG OLED C1 "77. Speakers Front, center, sub and back in the Dynavoice Magic series. Atmos speakers (at medium height) from Magnat. When I now connect the player, I don't get any Atmos sound in the receiver but only 5.1 as max (when i change it manually on the BD-player). I have tried different connection (direct to HDMI-port in TV) options and have updated the latest software in the player and reciever. Nothing works. I don't get Atmos nor Dolby Vision from the player. Ive checked around a bit on forums and others have had same problem. Ive got all the settings I should according to the manual. Still no luck. Adding that I haven't tried a disc yet but only played from HDD... Anyone have any input? All you pros out there. Thoughts? Solving? Thanks in advance!

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Steerpike 

I Titus Groaned when I saw your post, as that’s a lot to look up 😛

But what HDD are we talking about, as there isn’t one I can see in your setup? And are you sure the material on it has Dolby Vision and Atmos?

Nothing wrong with your wiring, though, as far as I can tell from what you describe. And the C1 is anyway not involved in the Atmos; that’s just between the player and the receiver.

Presumably, you have ensured the BluRay Player is outputting bitstream though, not PCM, and the receiver is set to decode it, as it looks as if the player can’t decode this, and nor DTS-X, and passes the raw bitstream to the receiver to handle?

You should poke about in your existing BluRay collection (assuming you have one) though, for a disc with Dolby Atmos; the HD Bond film, No Time To Die, has this, for instance.

My go-to reference disc at the moment is Dune; the UHD copy of this has Atmos - as indeed does the HD version. And not just Atmos, though, but Atmos-TrueHD. And Dolby Vision is on the disc also. With DTS-HD Master Audio thrown in, for you to contrast with Dolby Atmos if the receiver can decode both, which it probably can.

So you might want to get a copy of this UHD BluRay. to show off your kit at its best….

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…