Join now - be part of our community!

Netflix Support Discussion Thread

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Netflix Support Discussion Thread

Hi

Just thought I would offer a bit of clarity around the Netflix discussion threads that keep popping up.

• Is Netflix coming to Sony devices?

Hopefully, no date confirmed as yet, but as you'd expect, we'd like to launch it on Sony Entertainment Network/BRAVIA Internet Video as soon as we can.

• Which devices will it be compatible with and will it be backported?

Not clear yet. We look to backport all services to as many devices as possible, but its not always technical possible to do. Whilst it is available on US devices at present, its not yet clear if Netflix would want to re-use the old interface or launch with a new interface, which makes things much harder to backport.

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer below - mindful there are areas I cannot discuss with NDA's in place etc..

Thanks

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Tags (1)
201 REPLIES 201
Davedrizen
Visitor

I presume the DRM is part of the Firmware. So why can't sony release a new updated firmware version for these 2011 players that has this New DRM?

homesy1968
Visitor

same here got the bdv-e370 and no netfix,cant believe sony not given this to us,time to move over to panasonic if sony dont care about us

homesy1968
Visitor

maybe not but ive had this system for 3 months and to be told it wont support netfix as its a old system is well typical sony,no wonder there lossing millions,and my point is if im going to buy new again it wont be sony

Batfinkk

That would be the same Panasonic that haven't any backward compatibility either right? Your point?

Read through the thread and you'll understand why this issue isn't just limited to Sony, its down largely to the DRM that Netflix are using...

Davedrizen
Visitor

Well i have just bought a BDP-S185 player, now this was only relased in later part of 2011 and this dose not support Netflix.

Now sony it only the 2012 models will suport Netfelx but when you plan a new model it not done in 5 minutes, takes months, long before they reached there deal with netfelx , therefore when this model was realeased they knew would never be capable of suporting it. What manufacture worth it salt releases a new model knowing only going  have a life of a couple of months?

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Davedrizen

The 185 spec was locked down months and months before a deal with Netflix was signed locally. As mentioned earlier in the thread, Netflix changed their DRM protocols for Europe quite late in the day so it would have been compatible had this not happened, which is unfortunate.

Hope this answers your question

flo3flo
Visitor

Me too!!

on 24th Feb this year i bought a BDP-S580 (169 pounds) having looked at the spec on the Sony website.

I cannot believe there is no way Sony can produce a firmware upgrade that is able to cope with the DRM used by Netflix, 4od and ITV player.

Come on Sony, get a grip and develop an update that sorts this issue out.

homesy1968
Visitor

if im not mistaken doesnt the bdv-e370 get netfix in the usa,so why not here,

drhowells
New

As was said in a previous post, in the US they use a certain kind of DRM which would have worked fine here, but they (Netflix) decided to use a new version in the UK, which is not compatible.

ukcjm1
Visitor

Anyone here gonna lose sleep over this? :laughing:

Sony reports net loss of $3.2 billion for Q4 2011, annual loss of $5.7 billion

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/10/3011264/sony-record-loss-5-7-billion-fy-2011