Join now - be part of our community!

Netflix Support Discussion Thread

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Netflix Support Discussion Thread

Hi

Just thought I would offer a bit of clarity around the Netflix discussion threads that keep popping up.

• Is Netflix coming to Sony devices?

Hopefully, no date confirmed as yet, but as you'd expect, we'd like to launch it on Sony Entertainment Network/BRAVIA Internet Video as soon as we can.

• Which devices will it be compatible with and will it be backported?

Not clear yet. We look to backport all services to as many devices as possible, but its not always technical possible to do. Whilst it is available on US devices at present, its not yet clear if Netflix would want to re-use the old interface or launch with a new interface, which makes things much harder to backport.

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer below - mindful there are areas I cannot discuss with NDA's in place etc..

Thanks

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Tags (1)
201 REPLIES 201
Acheckley
Visitor

Oh no. I've just bought a BDV-E780W thinking I could watch Netflix. This wasn't the main reason why I bought the system but had planned to use the Netflix service. I thought I'd researched this enough by Googling and seeing instructions about adding Netflix, I now realise this is just for the US. Being as it is a top of the range model, would this be likely to have Netflix with a future update? This model has quite a heavy price tag.

Thanks,

Andrew

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi,

All the new 2012 models which have just started shipping will have Netflix support, which actually launches this week. Speak to your dealer and see if you can swap it over?

Thanks

Acheckley
Visitor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I don't think I'll be able to because it was reduced by £70. I didn't know a new model was coming out and just thought I bagged a great deal.

Thanks,

Andrew

sully1311
Explorer

No it won't.

Geeezeee
Explorer

Confirmation that netflix will be included in 2012 Bravia televisions but WILL NOT be added to existing models.  Sad news....

http://www.reghardware.com/2012/04/24/sony_denies_netflix_app_to/

restorer48
New

This is a truly shocking decision to abandon customers in this way.  No wonder Sony are struggling in the TV market if they are treating people with such contempt.

This will be the end of my long association with the company unless there is a change of heart here. 

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Restorer48 - I think as explained above, this was down to the new type of DRM Netflix deployed in the UK, meaning older devices weren't compatible. It was not an active choice to block older devices from accessing the service..

Thanks

bobsilvers
Visitor

A sad day!!!!!

Is it possible to list the new (2012) devices which will have access to Netflix

profile.country.GB.title
neil6167
Explorer

Is a 2011 HX923 included as a 2012 model, from memory the top-end line-up hasn't changed for the 2012 models so logic would say it will?

Or has it received a subtle upgrade that precludes any 2011 manufactured sets handling Netflix?

pedropaiva
Visitor

Thanks for the information, Catmambo.

I recently joined Netflix with the original intention to use it in my Sony KDL40 CX520 tv set (live in London, UK). Unfortunately, I couldn't find an app for Netflix (only LoveFilm) and just read here that Sony still doesn't have such connection to Netflix.

I had a back up plan to access it through my XBox if the tv didn't work but I just discovered that I need XBox Live Gold subscription which costs 40 GBP a year on top of the Netflix subscription, resulting on an yearly total of 112 GBP (XBox Gold + Netflix). As I don't have an alternative, I'll probably terminate my subscription with Netflix.

I believe that Sony, by not allowing people to connect with Netflix, is losing a great opportunity to get all of the Netflix subscribers which own Sony internet tvs. I'll choose to terminate my Netflix subscription but there are probably a lot of other people which will upgrade to XBox Gold and, once Sony releases the Netflix app, won't bother downgrading.

Greatly appreciate if Sony could give us an estimated date of release for the Netflix app.

Kind regards.