Join now - be part of our community!

W65x: Miracast/Mirroring setup clarification?

profile.country.en_GB.title
hcr_hassen

W65x: Miracast/Mirroring setup clarification?

Is Screen Mirroring/Miracast supposed to be initiated or setup from the Screen Mirroring screen, or from the WiFi Direct menus? I'm unable to pair when the TV is in the Screen Mirroring screen (the one that shows "Waiting for connection from Wi-Fi device"). The initial setup does work from Network settings/WiFi Direct Settings/Manual (though I haven't managed to actually establish a video connection with a Windows 8.1 computer, but that may be due to drivers or software issues, I'm still not sure).

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there

I guess at least you know that it can be done :slight_smile:

Could it be a Network Driver Issue - correct ones installed (WiDi)?

Service Menu/Service Manual - Unfortunately I do not know how to get into the service menu of 2013 and 2014 tvs.  I am under the assumption though that you need a "Service Remote Control" in order to do this.  I have not been able to confirm this, because I can only ascertain the first 100 pages of the 2013 W6 Service manual (and the required service menu is on page 200ish!!)

As you now know, it can be done, therefore its a PC software/driver issue (assumption!), also not sure how helpful the service menu for this is anyhow.

Cheers

profile.country.en_GB.title
hcr_hassen

It's not a driver issue on the PC, but it may be some mess related to network configuration. I was leaning toward a PC issue since the beginning, but it's also possible the TV plays some role in this: software can be made more lenient or flexible in the handshaking phase.

The way I know of entering the service menus is turning the TV on with the following sequence: I+, 5, Vol Up (or Down for another mode), Power button.

It won't help directly solve the problem, but it may provide a hint to what's wrong. Most of the info in the WiFi Monitor screen doesn't look terribly useful, but maybe the Miracast negotation fields could show something, or the WiFi Direct Status. But without being able to turn on the TV in Screen Mirroring mode, or entering the service menus when it's already on, I don't see a way to do it.

Why do you only have the first 100 pages? Can you share a link to that?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hcr_hassen wrote:

The way I know of entering the service menus is turning the TV on with the following sequence: I+, 5, Vol Up (or Down for another mode), Power button.

I thought Sony changed that, but then I looked at the 2013 R4 series manual, and low and behold - its still in their.  I must be going nuts !!!

This is from the R4 Series:

R4 Series Service Menu 2.jpg

@hcr_hassen wrote:

Why do you only have the first 100 pages? Can you share a link to that?

Because....That is all I can find !!  If by any chance you aquire more on your travels - Id be interested !! 

Something that may assist in the 1/3ish that I have:

W6 Series 2.jpg

I have PMed you the link to the SM.

Don't know how useful - but seriously - Good Luck !!  :four_leaf_clover: and please let me know how you get on.

Cheers

PS: Obviosuly the disclaimer (and for others) - NOT TO BE USED if you do not know what you are doing - you could 'brick' your TV and also void warranty.  For information only.

cosmin.ciuc
Explorer

Hello,

I have a Sony BRAVIA KDL-42W650A smart TV. For me the following procedure worked.

I have connected my TV to my wireless router through an Ethernet connection. My WIndows 10 laptop connects to the same wireless router through a wireless 5 Ghz connection.

On my Windows 10 laptop I have accessed Settings > Devices > Connected devices. I have forst added the BRAVIA KDL-42W650A Television,Renderer... device and then I added BRAVIA KDL-42W650A Television device. The order you add those devices is important. Now, in my connected devices I have a BRAVIA KDL-42W650A under "Play devices" and a BRAVIA KDL-42W650A under "Projectors".

Everytime I want to use Miracast or I want to use my Sony TV as an additional display for my laptop first I access the "Scrren mirroring" options from the "Connected Devices" in my Sony TV main menu. Then, I can either use the "Cast to device" option from the Edge browser or the "Connect to wireless display" from the "Project" command in the WIndows 10 Acction Center.

I hope this helps you.