Join now - be part of our community!

IF YOU HAVE DVD/CD DRIVE PROBLEMS - READ THIS>

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

IF YOU HAVE DVD/CD DRIVE PROBLEMS - READ THIS>

Several members seem to have problems with their CD/DVD drives at the moment. As far as I know, there is no magic solution but you could try some or all of the following: -

1. See if there is an updated driver or updated firmware for your drive at Vaio-Link. Some Sony drives are re-badged from other manufacturers and you may have to search for updated downloads. For example, if you have a Sony DW-D56A drive, you can get a firmware download from HERE (Use PFS2). Many other drives are also supported on this site.

2. Use System Restore to return your Vaio to the configuration when it was last working normally.
Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore - choose a restore date before you had the problem.

3. Look in Device Manager to see if there are any errors against your DVD/CD-ROM drive.
Start -> Right-Click My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager - expand DVD/CD-ROM Drives and check the status. If there is an Error Code or a yellow triangle with a ! or ? come back here with the number and we may be able to help.

4. If there is no error and the drive is reported as working normally, try Uninstalling the drive by right-clicking on it in Device Manager and choosing Uninstall. Re-booting your Vaio will reinstall the drivers.

5. Try some different software to read/write your discs and see if that works. Also try a different brand of discs - Sony, TDK and Verbatim seem favourites.

6. Try a liquid lens cleaner on the lens and polish with a microfibre cloth ? this can sometimes help.

7. If your drive works with either CDs or DVDs only make sure the ribbon cable is not preventing the reader head from moving freely - check that the laser head in the drive can move freely for the whole range of its travel. The disc information is held on the outside tracks for DVDs and the inner tracks for CDs.

8. Last resort is to perform a full C:\ Drive System Recovery from your Recovery Discs. Make sure you back up all your Data as the contents of C:\ will be lost and your Vaio returned to the factory configuration.

If none of these work, you may have a hardware problem and you need to contact Vaio-Link. There is no point contacting them until you have carried out a Drive C:\ Recovery as this is the first thing they will ask you to do.

:wink:

403 REPLIES 403
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi JoeMs,

welcome to Club VAIO.. :slight_smile:

The following guide below should hopefully fix the problem..

It would be wise to back up your registry first, here is a GUIDE

Manual steps to delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry values that can cause CD access problems
Warning other problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Modify the registry at your own risk.

To manually delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry values, follow these steps:

First open the registry editor..

Press the windows key and the R key to open the Run box.

Then type Regedit in to the Run Box then click OK..

Press continue on the UAC window and the registry editor should open..

Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

Quit Registry Editor.

Restart your Vaio.

or

alternatively save the CD Gone registry fix (attached below) to your hard drive and then double click to run..

ellankih
Visitor

Hi ellankih,

have you tried downloading the CDgone.reg fix from the post above (Click HERE ).?

Once downloaded follow the instructions to run..

Hi Thalamus, thanks for propmt reply. Can you please assisst me now. I have checked the properties of my DVD Rom and its saying the device working properly. But I cannot burn dvds. I am attaching the image that i cant find the upper and lower limts. please help me.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi ellankih,

go to device manager do you still have an error code next to your CD/DVD drive.?

When you try to burn a DVD do you get an error message.?

ellankih
Visitor

Hi ellankih,

go to device manager do you still have an error code next to your CD/DVD drive.?

When you try to burn a DVD do you get an error message.?

Hi Thalamus,
Thanks for your reply. I dont have any sign like ! next my DVD rom in Device manager and When I try to burn dvds, the buffer bar fill 100% and waits for some time and they gives burn process failed. Its happend before and I have changed the regedits and then it was fine. Now I got the prob again. By the way My laptop configs:

VGNFE41S model
2GB RAM,
Core 2 Duo Processor,
NVIDIA Geforce Go7600
Matshita DVD-ROM UJ-850S

Thanks for your cooperation and I appreciate your help.

drali
Visitor

Hello, regarding Sony DW-56A (re-badged lite-on drive?)

There is a firmware upgrade to version 7 available via dell who use the same drive

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&&fileid=134618

marksman45
Visitor

Hi to all, this is my first post.

In response to your feedback reagrding drive problems, mine was fine until I updated my firmware, now I keep getting disc errors.

The program I use is convertx to dvd, my laptop is the Vaio VGN-AR51SU, My qustion is how can you downgrade your firmware? because from my experience you cannot.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Mark

dianaosmund
Visitor

Hiya!

I'm having the same problem. I purchased my laptop 3months ago and all of a sudden the cd/dvd rom has disappeared from my computer. I ran a diagostic and it says I have not got an optical drive. At my wits end after several system restore and still no joy I made the decision to do a C:\ drive restore to original settings and still no luck.

I unfortunately I do not know what the cd/dvd rom make is as not at my laptop but I own a VGN-CS11S/Q. Any ideas? Or do you think it's a trip to the shop?

Many thanks,
:slight_smile:

Sena21
Visitor

Hi - first post

I have a vaio vgn-nr32s, which doesnt recognised cd's. It has no problem with dvd's and in device manager there are no problems listed. When a CD is in the drive it seems to try and read it but nothing happens. I've also tried reinstalling the drivers but no luck.

profile.country.en_PK.title
xs2ahmed
Visitor

Hello,
I have Sony Vaio VGN FE31h. I have reinstalled Windows XP followed by all the drivers of sony Vaio downloaded from Vaio website. every thing is working fine now except I have one problem which is that my DVD/CD drive (MATSHITS DVD-RAM UJ-850S) is now only reading DVDs but does not read CD's anymore.
I think the drivers of DVD/CD drive have been installed by the window XP it self. I tried to locate drivers from VAIO's driver folder but couldnt find any. so I am letting it work with those default drivers' which cant read CDs

Please help what to do 😞

NOTE:
I had to format my hard disk due to a disk failure, and therefore I dont have any recovery parition any more..

I have BTW already tried the way to which includes removing Upperfilter and lowerfilter from rigistry, but that didnt work,

RoksVempire
Visitor

Pls anybody can help me?:
http://club.vaio.sony.co.uk/clubvaio/gb/en/forum/viewthread?thread=62333

Sony put a restriction to his drive?
With preinstalled software all works ok, after clear vista install, the drive not work good.