Join now - be part of our community!

NWZ-W273

judicke
Explorer

NWZ-W273

Can anyone please explain why my player does not play Mp4 files dragged in from Itunes on my Mac?

The sales pitch said just drag in from Itunes but I've had it since August and still not found a way to get it to play these files. It just skips over them to the next Mp3.

I upgraded to 1.10 yesterday and this made no difference.

Thanks

Judy

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.it_IT.title
jan2011
Enthusiast

Hi

Have you read everything about this argument on NWZ-W273 Sony’s guide?

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4454919111/EN/contents/02/02/01/01.html

(like: “…Music with copyright protection cannot be transferred” etc)

Have you check all file formats off media (Audio Formats (Codec)) on specs?

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4454919111/EN/contents/07/01/01/01.html

There are:

-mp3

-ASF (wma but without DRM)

-PCM (wav)

-AAC (mp4,m4a,3gp)

BUT Copyright protected AAC-LC files cannot be played back.

Non-standard bit rates or non-guaranteed bit rates are included depending on the sampling frequency

Jannis

Non mi aspetto nulla. Non temo nulla. Sono libero. - I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.   (N.K.)
judicke
Explorer

Thank you for the reply but I'm afraid I haven't a clue which sort of files I buy. Everything I have plays on my computers and on my Apple products. What a waste of money this Sony is proving to be, I only bought it because it said I could drag and drop from Itunes, that seems to be a bit sneaky really.

To a layman it means it will play music you have paid good money for not that it will play certain ones.

Judy

profile.country.it_IT.title
jan2011
Enthusiast

Hi

I’m sorry but this is not exactly…

-You can play your music you paid with DRM (FairPlay), on all devices authorized with your DRM ID (Adobe, Apple etc).

-The devices authorized with your ID are not unlimited.

-I think you can’t play your music on a PC authorized with another-different ID. (Not the DRM-free media).

-I even think, as NWZ-W273 cannot be authorized (and not only NWZ-W273) you will not be able Upload media with DRM.

-The "issue" is not Sony or other producers of “Walkman” devices, but who protect media with DRM.

From Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FairPlay

“FairPlay-protected files are regular MP4 container files with an encrypted AAC audio stream. The audio stream is encrypted using the AES algorithm in combination with MD5 hashes. The master key required to decrypt the encrypted audio stream is also stored in encrypted form in the MP4 container file. The key required to decrypt the master key is called the "user key".

Each time a new customer uses iTunes to buy a track, a new random user key is generated and used to encrypt the master key. The random user key is stored, together with the account information, on Apple’s servers, and also sent to iTunes. iTunes stores these keys in its own encrypted key repository. Using this key repository, iTunes is able to retrieve the user key required to decrypt the master key. Using the master key, iTunes is able to decrypt the AAC audio stream and play it.

When a user authorizes a new computer, iTunes sends a unique machine identifier to Apple’s servers. In return it receives all the user keys that are stored with the account information. This ensures that Apple is able to limit the number of computers that are authorized and makes sure that each authorized computer has all the user keys that are needed to play the tracks that it bought. When a user deauthorizes a computer, iTunes will instruct Apple’s servers to remove the unique machine identifier from their database, and at the same time it will remove all the user keys from its encrypted key repository.

The iPod also has its own encrypted key repository. Every time a FairPlay-protected track is copied onto the iPod, iTunes will copy the user key from its own key repository to the key repository on the iPod. This makes sure that the iPod has everything it needs to play the encrypted AAC audio stream.

FairPlay does not affect the ability of the file itself to be copied. It only manages the decryption of the audio content”

Jannis

Non mi aspetto nulla. Non temo nulla. Sono libero. - I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.   (N.K.)
profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

Hi Judy, I don't use iTunes but I think files ending in M4p are protected and those ending in M4a are not also I seem to recall reading that from 2010 music purchased from iTunes are now only M4a unprotected files.