Join now - be part of our community!

SLEEP TIMERS - Does Sony Care?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
jejeffrey
Explorer

SLEEP TIMERS - Does Sony Care?

Having raised this question several times without success (including this forum, direct to Sony and in Sony stores), I'm going to have one last try at this before I give up and look for a different manufacturer.

It's really very simple.

1. A Sleep Timer is a useful feature.
  2. Some Walkman models have it, some don't; that's Sony's choice.
  3. BUT WHY DO THEY MAKE IT SO HARD TO FIND OUT IF THERE IS ONE OR NOT????

Yes, I know it looks as if I'm shouting.  It seems necessary, because Sony aren't listening.  Nowhere in any specifications of any Walkman does it mention a Sleep Timer, even to say 'No, we don't have one'.  Perhaps that means that no current models include it.  Pity, but - again - that's Sony's choice.  But why won't they even answer the question?  Don't they care what their customers are interested in?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

@jejeffrey wrote:

A slightly more general (additional) question - have Sony in fact stopped including this facility?  If so, I can stop wasting my time.

Just checked & Sony ARE still producing walkmans with the sleep function

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

Hi jejeffrey,

Are you planning on buying a new walkman or do you want to know about one you already have?

Usually if a walkman has sleep mode it would state it in the imanual which should be available on the product support page.

To check before purchase Sleep mode is usualy located in the Home menu, under Settings > Alarm/Sleep Timer > Sleep Timer Settings.

I can see by checking that your daughters NWZ-E470 has the sleep option but unfortunately your NWZ-S636F does not.

Hope that helps to answer your question?

profile.country.GB.title
jejeffrey
Explorer

Thanks for the interest, but no, it doesn't really answer my question.  I can certainly tell whether there is a sleep timer after I have bought it; that isn't really the issue.

My problem is knowing which model(s) to buy in future.  if I understand your advice correctly, the thing to do is visit the Sony website and download every manual available.  That's not too customer-oriented, is it?

profile.country.GB.title
jejeffrey
Explorer

A slightly more general (additional) question - have Sony in fact stopped including this facility?  If so, I can stop wasting my time.

profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

@jejeffrey wrote:

Thanks for the interest, but no, it doesn't really answer my question.  I can certainly tell whether there is a sleep timer after I have bought it; that isn't really the issue.

My problem is knowing which model(s) to buy in future.  if I understand your advice correctly, the thing to do is visit the Sony website and download every manual available.  That's not too customer-oriented, is it?

When you are researching for your replacement walkman if you can not find out yourself online which model has a sleep option then maybe visit a local store that has display models then you can check for yourself BEFORE purchasing or ask the staff or contact the Sony sales team.

That was not my advice.

I was purely suggesting that if you are thinking of a particular model then you could check the manual or post which model you are intersted in and maybe a forum member would be able to let you know if that model had a sleep function.

Glad you appreciated the time I took to log-in and try to help you :rolling_eyes:

profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

@jejeffrey wrote:

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

@ 'Nobody-in-particular' - Thanks for the info and for trying to help them :slight_smile:

The information doesn't seem too difficult to find. 

Just type in a model number and the words 'sleep timer' into Google lol :wink:

profile.country.GB.title
jejeffrey
Explorer

@Nobody-in-particular wrote:

That's good news, but I still have to guess which ones!   How did you check?  My local Sony store aren't interested/knowledgeable, and the company doesn't respond, which is why I came to this forum in the first place.

profile.country.GB.title
jejeffrey
Explorer

@jumpsuit wrote:

The information doesn't seem too difficult to find. 

Just type in a model number and the words 'sleep timer' into Google lol :wink:

Are you serious?  So I carry out this search for every available model to create my own shortlist?  As I've said already, not very customer-oriented.  If I contact a TV manufacturer and ask 'which of your sets has a DVD Player built in?', they will tell me (though perhaps Sony won't, judging by their attitude on this).