Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Android "App remote" equipped Single DIN Head units

profile.country.en_GB.title
Glitchinthesystem
Visitor

Sony Android "App remote" equipped Single DIN Head units

Can any Sony marketing or sales staff give an indication if (and when) there any plans in the pipeline to follow SONY North America and launch single DIN Head Units that are equipped with the Android "App Remote" functionality?

The North American units are the MEX-GS600BT, MEX-BT4100P, MEX-BT3100P and CDX-GS500R models.

I appreciate that these have Sirus satellite radio functionality (via an add on unit) but I would have thought this cold be replaced with a DAB+ unit for the European market if launched.

see http://http://blog.sony.com/sony-in-dash-receivers

Cheers Jason

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.pt_PT.title
joaoasilva
Visitor

When will it be available to Europe?

I really want one of those! :

tomorrowman
Visitor

The European version of these products has now appeared on the Sony UK web site (MEX-BT4100U) with no price or availability and the status 'New'.

Tried calling Sony to find out pricing and availability details but spent a fruitless 30 minutes being bounced between Sales and Product Support.

My only consolation is that if it's on the website it will hopefully appear in the various sales channels in the next new months.

Though if some nice kind Sony employee could enlighten us as to when these amazing products will surface it would be appreciated

The reason I say amazing is I've only just recently realised, courtesy of one of the older products, the power of bluetooth i.e. can use it to navigate through your music and my initial experimenting with the 'App Remote' app on Android made me realise this is a very cost effective way of maximising the use of my smarphone in the car (safely) without resorting to cable spaghetti.

Until I discovered this I was resigned to having to spend a fortune going down the overpriced double DIN mirrorlink enabled headunit approach, which would have also neccessitated me buying a new phone as support is patchy

Message was edited by: tomorrowman

tomorrowman
Visitor

Managed to find a few UK based companies that sell them either via their own websites or via ebay (an ebay search for mex-bt4100u highlights them).

Went with www.dynamicsounds.co.uk. Price seemed reasonable, they had it in stock and delivery time was quick.

Puzzled though that these items are not more widely available