Join now - be part of our community!

Sony NWZ-F806 EU volume limitation

profile.country.en_GB.title
Graviton
Visitor

Sony NWZ-F806 EU volume limitation

Hi!

I'm going to purchase a Sony Walkman NWZ-F806 but have a question about volume limitation.

A lot of posts on different forums state that European version of this player has significant limitation on outpu power and therefore has worse sound quality.

I cannot find any official information about this. Could you please help me with this?

Does it really have the EU volume cap?

Thanks in advance!

12 REPLIES 12
Graviton
Visitor

Thanks a lot for your replies!

ClarkLong wrote:

The volume cap is probably software (always been that way with Sony)for cost productions. The only way to unlock it is to enter the service mode (you lost your waranty & might brick your walkman) or to load US OS (at your own risk). Japanese soft usually only cary Japanese languages....

I'm intrigued with the service mode... Did you happen to see any information about such mode for Android based Walkmans?

profile.country.FR.title
ClarkLong
Expert

it's taboo heheh

but the easiest thing and best option for "music lover" is to import. Semms that walkman F has english language in Japan (the japanese Z actually does)...but the key thing is that Japan is the only country to have the 64Gb version. 😃

dJodaX
Visitor

1st. Hi to everybody here. Just to clear some of Graviton questions. I am myself using EX1000 monitors and to be honest there is a major difference between EU and JP F series walkman paired with them. I doubt Sony has checked that before releasing F series here in Europe at all.

2nd. Another thing DO NOT TRY to load firmware from different location to your device. I bought mine F807 64GB in JP and when got back to UK and connected to my home network just to play with I've received notification about firmware upgrade. Well obviously went for it and after all it failed and turned my device off. I've managed to turn it back to life by pressing little reset thing at the back. Unfortunately firmware is still 1.01, the serial number on device has got lost, there is volume cap now on and so on... Contacted support centre UK and was told to use JP firmware. Tried that but it does not see my device (followed all steps from instruction) - I can still access walkman through MyComputer so it's not faulty USB. Tested that on different PCs with different OS, no joy. Went to JP couple weeks ago and was told that because SN is gone they can't help me... WTH is wrong with Sony nowadays? Spent over 500quid on hardware with Sony logo on it and can't get simple help and solution. It was not my fault that device has loaded wrong firmware, this should be sorted by sony programmers. This is why you lose your customers Sony as the name does not work anymore.

3rd. Yes, JP version of F series has English languade on board. And tell you what Graviton if I won't solve all mentioned issues you can have my device for half price included IEMs (MDR-EX1000 boxed etc.) as I'm fed up of Sony staff by now and lack of help from them.

Message was edited by: dJodaX