Join now - be part of our community!

What is browsing structure on Walkman app, e.g. NWZ-F886?

SOLVED
c.simon

What is browsing structure on Walkman app, e.g. NWZ-F886?

I am looking for a portable audio player, for use widely in the car as well as out and about. I have an iPad and an Android tablet but, apart from them being a bit too big, I have yet to find a music player out of all I've downloaded on both platforms that have a borwsing structure that I find usable, and no product web sites anywhere for audio players or phones actually give this information. Could some one clarify for me how the Walkman Android app works, relating the following items?  I assume that the app is the same on the NWZ devices as well as the xperia phones - if not, could you explain the differences?

1. Does the Artists menu group items by Artist or Album Artist?
2. On displaying Albums after selecting an artist, does it sort albums chronologically or alphabetically?
3. Is there a Genres menu?
4. If there is a Genres menu, what is displayed next after selecting a genre: Tracks, Albums, or Artists?
5. Is there an on the go, ad-hoc queue/playlist and is it possible to queue individual tracks? And is it possible to reorder tracks in the queue?
6. Is Disc # respected within an album, i.e. if it's a multi-disc album are the tracks sorted by Disc # first and then Track #?
7. Are compilation (multi-artist) albums recognised in any way?

Many thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
c.simon

After a bit of Googling, I've found out that there is no Genre menu in the Walkman app, which is extremely disappointing. Even worse, it seems to use (Contributing) Artist in the Artist menu rather than Album Artist. It's hard to believe that Sony, who invented the Walkman and portable music, could make such fundamental errors of judgement and design. It doesn't matter how good the hardware is, it needs software to go with it for people who are really serious about music, also the memory size.  The NWZ-F886 seemed really attractive on paper.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
c.simon

After a bit of Googling, I've found out that there is no Genre menu in the Walkman app, which is extremely disappointing. Even worse, it seems to use (Contributing) Artist in the Artist menu rather than Album Artist. It's hard to believe that Sony, who invented the Walkman and portable music, could make such fundamental errors of judgement and design. It doesn't matter how good the hardware is, it needs software to go with it for people who are really serious about music, also the memory size.  The NWZ-F886 seemed really attractive on paper.