Join now - be part of our community!

Hello please someone tell menthe use of sd card on the tablet and also If I can use the as card slot for expansion. Thank

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
ajaassan
Visitor

Hello please someone tell menthe use of sd card on the tablet and also If I can use the as card slot for expansion. Thank

Tags (6)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

From what it says in the picture posted, it is only for the use of transfer data and not as an expansion for memory.

I personally think that is normal practice bucause in all honesty, it is pretty hard to fill memory on a 16 or 32GB device. I don't know many tablet manufacturers who give you use of expandable memory.    

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

We will probably have to wait until someone with the new Tablet S can tell us.

It is my understanding that the SD Card slot is for Media Exchange (File Transfer) only - not for expanding internal memory.

Tablet S SD.jpg

:thinking:

Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

From what it says in the picture posted, it is only for the use of transfer data and not as an expansion for memory.

I personally think that is normal practice bucause in all honesty, it is pretty hard to fill memory on a 16 or 32GB device. I don't know many tablet manufacturers who give you use of expandable memory.    

hip_hop_rob
Explorer

Blencoco has it in one.  It is for file transfer only. You can't read directly from the card and thereby increase internal memory.

It simply allows portable storage without permanently hogging internal space, if that is what you want.

Personally keeping internal memory free will probably keep the tablet at max speed but that is just personal theory not based on scientific assessment. unless someone else can corroborate my theory?

Langaleer
Visitor

You can play videos etc off the sd card.  PCWorld were setting theirs up and I had a play with videos running directly from their sd card as this was something I wanted to know too!

chongsta.uk
Explorer

I've been trying to figure out if this was possible so I'd love to know how they were running from the sd card? I havent managed to make the tablet do it yet!

Langaleer
Visitor

You need a file manager.  It can also be done in the transfer app, but instead of transferring it, hold down on the file and select open file and it will open it directly from the SD card.

profile.country.nl_NL.title
breedBenR

The external SDcard CAN be used as external memory for files (video, pdf, ebook, photo, jpg etc.)

(as such it is expanded memory). The native apps that come with the tablet do not make it very easy, but with downloaded apps you can use the external memory this way.

When you are browsing for content, using a file manager app that you installed from the market:

\mnt\sdcard   = the internal sdcard

\mnt\sdcard2  = the external sdcard

The current version of the native apps (e.g. Gallery) can 'open' and 'view' individual files on the card (e.g. a JPG using the Gallery). For playing a single video (of the right codec) this works fine (and you can download alternative videoplayer apps to play files of other format, e.g. if your camera records .MOV). The photo viewer cannot yet flic through the content of a directory on the sdcard2 [ at least I could not ], which is not very handy. If you download a 3rd party photo viewer, that allows to browse mounted cards, you probably can - or perhaps there is a way to expand the gallery with the extra sdcard [ have not found out how ].

The external SDcard CANNOT (easily) be used as external memory for Apps.

-- By default, Android installs a new downloaded app in your 'system memory'.

-- many new apps (not all) you can 'Move to SDcard' as a next step, this is the internal 'SDcard' space .

If you bought a '16GB' memory Tablet, this gives ca.  8.92 GB of internal 'SDcard' space

If you bought a '32GB' memory Tablet, this gives ca. 24.92 GB of internal 'SDcard' space

That space is available for downloaded apps, files, cache etc. The rest is for the operating system itself (System Memory, some native apps sit here).

It makes a lot of sense to store e.g. photos and videos on an external SDcard if you just want to view/play them once or twice, and only copy those that you want to have with you all the time to the internal memory.

You will need a file manager app for that, or SONY might update their apps to make that kind of use easier.

There are many ways to use the tablet, I think SONY deliberatly gives only very simple ways of use, so that customers new to tablets are not scared away - at the same time, the tablet, via the android system, allows a lot more ways of use. Some of those may become so mainstream, that SONY could start to make it possible in their native apps too, others will not. But the basic point is: you CAN use the external 'sdcard2' to play content etc. you do not NEED to copy that content perse.

oseven
Visitor

I originally bought a Samsung 10.1 Tablet from Currys that packed up after 3 weeks. I took it back and the assistant suggested the Sony Tab as a better machine and took me over to view one on display. The Sony rep joined us and convinced me the Sony was much better. as it would be able to " throw pics to my Playstation ( which it can't ) and that I could insert an sd card and use it as if it were an internal card to show photos using the Gallery app ( it cannot do this either) You can only view one photo at a time which, with 32 gb of photos on the card, would take all day.

I went back to Currys today to get an explanation but none was forthcoming. Apparently Android 3 is to blame as Android 2 does let you show pics. on an inserted card as a slideshow.

I have decide to keep the Sony but am very disapointed that, having spoken to a Sony rep. I was misled.

Come on Sony release an app. that can do what was promised.

oseven
Visitor

have just found the following quote online I

" Some bonehead at Sony decided to ignore Android Honeycomb 3.2 's solid support for mounting sd cards along with the internal storage, and that means songs, video and photos won't appear in the gallery or music player. You can open/view them one by one, but that's tedious for music libraries and photo collections."

( From Mobile TechReview News website )

So what I wrote in my previous post regarding vist to Currys and it being Android 3 at fault is total rubbish.

If Sony Have removed this facility from Android where is the logic.

Answers please Sony.